In name of Dell and HP.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dreyfus, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Dreyfus

Dreyfus MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hey all.

Activators have failed.
    BIOS mod... Don't have the guts.
    Upgrade doesn't worth it for me.

So... I think there's only one more way to try...

In name of Dells and HP's... Could you make an activator that actually works for Dell's an HP's, please? I mean, a specialiced (or not specialiced, I don't know) for Dells and HP's that works. Is it possible? Is there any chance to make one that activates W7 on those?

I know that sounds selfish or something like that... But I'm just asking, not ordering. And also and obviously, Dell's and HP's guys (appart of me) would thank you to the last breath.

PS: Have a Dell Dimension 9200.

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    before I modded my Dell D630 WOW7 worked fine for me. As long as your system doesn't hang and RW everything says there is an SLIC table then the loader is working. Your only options if loaders do not work is to mod your BIOS or buy the OS.

3. Dreyfus

Aug 11, 2009
    My BIOS is Slic 2.0...

There isn't any chance there then?

I think the only POSSIBLE choice left (for me) is waiting... Till an activator, a key or till my PC gets old and I need to buy a new one... Lol

Thanks anyway.

4. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Flash it...

Just take precautions before you do so.
    Make sure you have a bootable floppy/USB, put a clean recovery BIOS on it along with any flashing tool you may need and read up on how to do the BIOS recovery should anything go wrong.
    Flashing a BIOS is relatively safe... it's just IF something goes wrong, most people will panic and are possibly without a way to find out how to recover.

5. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    What is the name of your motherboard?.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    if you flash FLASH FROM DOS. AGAIN DO NOT FLASH FROM WINDOWS WITH MODDED DELL BIOS FILES.

8. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    ^^ What he said, better to take the safe route then to try the quickie route and raise your chances of a bad flash.

9. Dreyfus

Aug 11, 2009
    WGA failed to my friend, and we both have the same PC with Phoenix BIOS, almost same processor, Dell Dimension 9200... etc So...

And I don't have the guts to try the BIOS...

Maybe Dell would send me a new motherboard if I screw it, maybe not. Can't take that risk.

10. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    If you do everything by the book in regards to flashing your Bios you'll be fine.

11. Dreyfus

Aug 11, 2009
    And who would guide me flashing it with 100% knowledge of what he's doing and 100% accuracy...?

I'm just a newbie who wants W7U activated coz "it's too good for letting it go" (words of my friend), not a pro like most of you, guys.

12. Gil Bates

Gil Bates MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    What I did was buy an extra bios chip off Feebay (about ten bucks as I recall - bought it originally for Vista, but lost interest - go figure), that was loaded with my bios. Then no harm/no foul if disaster ensued (it didn't - Abit NF-M2 nView, ver. 1.14 of Andy's Award tool, 0+2 default method - very easy and fast).

This risk was simply getting the original chip (in case there was a problem with the replacement) out of the damn MB. That thing is crammed in there as tight as a nine-month-old fetus, and it weren't easy. You could *easily* damage your MB and/or chip doing this if you're not extremely careful, meticulous, and patient. (*Read that sentence again.)

Fortunately, I *am* extremely careful, meticulous, and patient, and am pretty good at this sort of task, so it worked out well for me. I used an angled-end dental pick from a set I have on the appropriate corners of the chip and worked it out s-l-o-w-l-y, but I think they make a special tool for this. Actually, it was a nice little fun project for me - I love challenges.

...So what's a guy to do?

At any rate, Andy's tool does *not* modify your bios in and of itself. It simply provides you with a modded bios *file* that you then turn around and use to flash your bios with as you normally would with the manufacturer's bios updates. So if just producing the modded file went awry, you'd be perfectly OK.

I did it within the OS with Abit's flash tool as I have several times before with success, unchecking the "flash boot block" option as suggested.

All my bios settings were left intact - didn't reset the CMOS.

I hate to see the problems folks are having with these bios mods, and that's the sort of thing I sought to eliminate. The whole software process worked beautifully for me, and I've had no problems with 16385 so far - activation or otherwise. (I installed it on separate bare drive, btw.)

Hope this helps.

13. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Exactly..
    If you take your time, make sure you have everything you need -- including a disk/USB with recovery BIOS -- and you follow the instructions on how to flash your BIOS and have PATIENCE to wait for it to flash (sometimes it will takes more than a few minutes) you'll be just fine.
    I've flashed the BIOS of over 100 PCs (I was 'in charge' of fixing my schools computers in High School) some of them multiple times and never had a bad flash.

It's not as hard as you may think..

14. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    We're not trying to tell you what to do, we're trying to help you. We can give you the modded Bios, the tools, and the instructions on exactly how to do it.

But the end result will have to be your doing - we can't flash it for you:)

Edit: I would offer to package twiz up in a FedEx box and send him your way, but that won't fly :D

15. Dreyfus

Aug 11, 2009
    Oh no! Of course not. Don't worry.

Actually, I really appreciate all your efforts in helping me here, really.
    Well, I guess BIOS mod is an option now...

Gotta go. See you tomorrow for more flashing BIOS info (how to, tools, guide... etc)

Thanks a lot! ^^

16. jandevries12

jandevries12 MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2009
    Come on Dreyfus, every now and then you have to take some chances in life. You won't get anywhere if you don't.
    Others have already flashed the same modded BIOS to their 9200's, so you can be sure it'll work.
    I flashed a modded BIOS from this forum to my Dell XPS-210 (which is the compact version of the Dimension 9200) and it worked (and still works) like a charm!

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Dreyfus, i wouldn't have posted the link to the bios mod if it hadn't been tested even though it is a windows flash it is the dell one

18. Dreyfus

Aug 11, 2009
    Ok, thanks. I've already downloaded the BIOS.

What do I do next?

PS: All Dells Dimension 9200 have the same BIOS? Sure It'll work on mine?

19. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    If that was the complete package DL, it would have a tool in there to flash your bios.

20. Dreyfus

Aug 11, 2009
    The modded BIOS I downloaded was a .exe only