In need of some magic - CHKDSK C: /F stuck at 100%

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by toyo, Jun 1, 2018.

1. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Hey guys,

Having one piece of annoying issue that is a bit out of my league. Tried to get some answers on the web without any results. Here it goes:

To describe the issue as short as possible:

- 850Evo 500GB, only 2TB written, bought 1 months or so ago, working, I'd say, perfectly.
    - executing chkdsk c: /f would get stuck at 100%. I would have to reboot from the PC hard reset button, nothing else works. Checked all other partitions and they're not exhibiting this behavior. C and D are the SSD, E, F are the HDD, which will be dismounted so there's no rebooting, but D: will require a reboot, and after CHKDSK is done, it reboots by itself as it should. C: however... nope.
    - on rebooting, there would be a short flash of "Scanning disk .... 100%" and boot would continue just fine
    - there would be just one Wininit event generated. It looks from it that chkdsk finishes, but cannot reboot automatically for whatever reason
    - Win 10 RS4 VM is working normally and reboots fine, so there's something on my PC... this is where I need help detecting what is it without another OS install/reset
    - PC behavior is normal, no actual problems, but I'm annoyed by this behavior where the command can't reboot the PC after finishing

What I tried:
    - removing Kaspersky IS, Easeus Backup/Partition Master, clean rebooting, sfc and dism (all clean and no issues), running the command from cmd instead of powershell (yeah I even tried that ...), reverting BIOS to defaults so there's no UEFI-only, Secure Boot boot stuff.

Again, the command SEEM to work fine, it's just that for whatever reason, something interferes with chkdsk C: after it completes. Any idea how do I find out what the interference might be?

Thanks!

Typical log:

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    196352 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    6827 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    1657 reparse records processed.
    265024 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    1657 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    34337 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    32870728 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

65929215 KB total disk space.
    24900736 KB in 132583 files.
    100648 KB in 34338 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    300835 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    40626996 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    16482303 total allocation units on disk.
    10156749 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 ff 02 00 11 8c 02 00 e3 1d 05 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    94 00 00 00 e5 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    First of all - chkdsk is tool for HDD
    SSDs uses energetical leveling technology and they fix the problems themselves if there is an issue. You should do nothing, the chkdsk is unnecessary on the SSD, and is generally recognised as a bad idea.
    Run chkdsk /f (or equivalent) to fix file system errors.
    Do not run chkdsk /r as it is not necessary to check for bad sectors.
    What is chkdsk f command?
    chkdsk /f C: When you use this command, Check Disk performs an analysis of the disk and then repairs any errors it finds, provided that the disk isn't in use. If the disk is in use, Check Disk displays a prompt that asks whether you want to schedule the disk to be checked the next time you restart the system. (chkdsk /f cannot work, if disk is on use).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    I never use chkdsk on C: drive. Because won't work that way for reason of TRIM feature.. I have Patriot Blast SSD..

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    kaljukass perfectly replied. chkdsk and defrag are tools for HDD. The 'maintenance' of SSD is job of the controller, both tools are obsolete since they are actually made for magnetic disks with real physical sectors and real physical distances. (That's why we de-fragment here to gain speed)

I am still running my first SSD. It's a OCZ Vertex II (year 2011). I never ran one of those tools. TRIM and garbage collect are specific measures and job of the controller.

The priorities to maintain a SSD are completely different to a HDD. Besides of that on SSD there needs to be an ready to be erased state before it can hold new data while on HDD the unallocated space still contains the original data. When deleting files the originally allocated clusters just get unallocated in the file allocation table.

6. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Wait a second.

Are you telling me CHKDSK not rebooting after completion is "normal" - just because it's an SSD? Honestly, it doesn't make any sense, and it doesn't explain WHY it actually happens at all.
    Samsung's own tools are useless. There's nothing there of interest. Magician, already have it, basically outside knowing the SSD is in Good shape and has the latest firmware, it doesn't do anything.

IMO chkdsk should simply complete normally on an SSD. I am pretty sure it used to complete just fine in the past. Windows 10 will run chkdsk on SSDs by itself I believe, if some corruption occurs. Even Defrag is just running TRIM.

For example:

So, how do I actually find why it is not rebooting after completion?

7. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You've messed with system tasks such as autocheck. That's why.
    Solution: nobody has a crystal ball, so do an in-place upgrade with keep files and apps.
    Or compare your live system with the virtual one and hunt down differences for hours (hence the first suggestion being quicker).

8. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    You do seem to think you have a crystal ball though, knowing what I might have done.
    I didn't do anything of the sort, by the way. I would have no reason to. There might be some app I have installed that did it without me knowing, but me knowingly, nope.

9. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Maybe a boot time defrag may solve the problem!

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Boot time defrag??

11. pcnavarra

Nov 13, 2017
    #11 pcnavarra, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Cmd Admin Defrag with the /b option i Know its not documeted.

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
    defrag -b %SystemDrive%

save as 1.bat

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    'You' - by usage. Including updating Windows :oops:
    Because we're not in SkyNet yet, so you can't fault the tool, and in my experience with thousands of computers I have never seen it.
    It's also just a hunch, I don't posses such crystal balls, and frankly, I have no need for them - it would sound strange when I walk around and the balls touch :rolleyes:

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Bad idea to defrag SSD's, You can run trim to optimize the SSD

14. pcnavarra

Nov 13, 2017
    With 4 mixed! partititions it may be possible that samsung controller may get stuck!

15. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I did what any self-respecting non-paid beta-tester does and reinstalled the product. Fresh, cause I like deleting partitions and letting Windows 10 work its magic on the unallocated space. I also did what any self-respecting beta-tester does and simply allowed the beautiful RS4 beast to update itself.

And lo and behold, chkdsk c: /f performed a reboot after it was done.

I guess the morale of the story is:

- don't install 3rd party apps; do they have services/drivers? THEY ARE THE DEVIL! Just don't.
    - be afraid of updating drivers. I know you want to, but Microsoft wants you to beta test the OS, not other vendor's drivers

I still think I will update the drivers though cause I like living on the edge I guess. I HAVE to know what caused this, so I can send them a nasty forum post and see how it won't get fixed over years.

16. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    It might just be a telemetry fight script or program, even something you've picked up from these forums. Don't remember specifics as I do my own scripts, but did read some bits mislabeling and then butchering hdd scheduled maintenance tasks as "telemetry" hence my reply that you so overreacted to.

17. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    That's the damn thing, I left telemetry alone, all to its full settings... didn't try to mess with pretty much anything, I perform pretty insignificant customizations to the OS, like moving the pagefile from C:, killing hibernation, killing fullscreen optimizations, ditching the mandatory password with netplwiz and a few more of this stuff.

I know people would generally assume that using Windows 10 also means killing all privacy options, getting desperate if you're monitored by Microsoft and always trying to fight it, but I've been there, done that, and deemed it a loss of my time. Plus running Windows 10 "Lite" didn't give me even ONE second off the boot, or one additional average fps.

I suspect Easeus apps messed with something when I installed them. Or Kaspersky. Guess I'll stick with Defender /shrug.