In-place upgrade from Win10 Home to Pro without going through Store?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Finner, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Finner

Finner MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    Hi

I've been trying to find a way to perform an in-place upgrade of Win10 from Home to Pro version, with retaining files apps and settings. I know this can be done via Store for 99 USD, but I already have a key (and could also use a KMS solution). Are keys region locked?

Changing the product key in Settings -> activation won't work, it won't accept generic Pro key.
    Upgrading from a DVD (with EI.cfg) won't retain apps, complains about it being a different version of Windows, so it can only retain files, not apps. Yet upgrading via Store should be able to retain the apps?
    I also tried changing the EditionID in registry to Professional, but DVD install still says that it's a different version of Windows.

Windows Toolkit cannot install Pro key.

Any help?

2. brio

brio MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2009
    search zdnet for this article: going-pro-how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-without-hassles.

3. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Under W10 home, just change the key to VK7JG-*****-*****-*****-3V66T. This will upgrade your windows 10 home to windows 10 pro in a few minutes and you keep your environment (files, applications... You activate with Microsoft Toolkit EZ-activator and you are done.

4. Finner

Finner MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    > The product key you entered didn't work. Error code: 0x8007139f

Yes, I entered the real code, not asterisks.

5. Finner

Finner MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    #6 Finner, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    (OP)
    I ended up resetting the computer, because my efforts in fixing any errors only caused more errors to pile up, missing DLLs, programs not starting, etc. After reset, the generic Pro key initiated the upgrade to Pro and will activate via Toolkit.

My installation was just too far gone to fix.

Thanks all for your help.

Edit: I think I'm going to be very wary of "stop windows 10 spying" type of apps if they don't have a very granulated option set.

6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I never use these apps. Old adage: Never fix what isn't broken! ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...