Inaccessible_boot_device

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BloodyRose, Aug 31, 2012.

1. BloodyRose

BloodyRose MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    On August 15 I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I didn't encounter any issues during the installation process and there's been no problems with using the system until today, when I decided to update my BIOS to a newer version.
    The motherboard I have is ASrock P67 Pro3. The latest update for it was 3.20, released in June 2012.
    I closed every program before starting to flash bios, but I forgot to run the update as administrator and I had my iPod connected to the PC as it happened. Still, I didn't notice any error messages but as soon as the computer restarted Windows 8 couldn't load. I got a BSOD saying INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I've tried recovering the system and everything else that the OS allows to do. Nothing's worked. Each time I boot I get the BSOD. What's interesting is that after two BSODs in a row the system automatically lets me pick one of the recovery options and when I launch command prompt I can locate my system drive and all the files on it. In fact, I can even see them in the windows explorer if I choose the option that lets you browse for drivers in the recovery mode. Yet I still can't boot into the system itself. That makes me think something's wrong with the hidden windows partition. I had UEFI enabled when I previously installed Windows 7.
    Is there anything I can do to be able to use my OS?

2. labtopia

labtopia MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2010
    i am having the same problem and finding it hard to find a fix

3. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I assume you tried and boot from a usb or dvd?
    Flashing bios is a very sensitive task, I wouldn't flash from withing windows or with anything connected to the unit. And this is just for anyone unfamiliar with the procedure...this can brick the system, all caution is needed...
    Anyway, did you try inserting a dvd or usb OS?

4. labtopia

labtopia MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2010
    ive tried repair from a installation dvd and cant fix. tried bootrec commands and bootsect commands, chkdsk, safe mode

this is a macbook pro that had w7 installed and i did an upgrade. the upgrade worked fine, but then on boot it starts booting with the windows square and chasing dot circle, then hangs and bsod.

the only think i can think of is a driver it is loading when booting that it doesnt like, but no info in the log file to identify. any ideas, seems like safe mode should get me in but it doesnt.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I got today the problem that my W8 Enterprise was getting problems to boot. Ok, booted from USB Stick to the Windows 8 Setup and chosed Repair. After about 2h all I was getting were a black screen after that startup pics with indicator. So, finally I bboted again from the USB Stick and chosed again to repair. Now I was getting the messages that my HDD were locked and that I would need to unlock. That were just impossible. Booted the machine from 7 Ultimate and tried to access the HDD, impossible. Also used Linux: impossible!

Did anybody had any idea what could be done to access the HDD?

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    #6 hbhb, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    Try fixing MBR via CMD Prompt, that is a shot in the dark but worth a try. Were you dual booting in your machine?
    BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Done that already before, with CMD and also with the Toll FixMBR. That didn't work.

And NO, I did not use dual booting from same HDD! I use the Bios function for chose from which HDD I like to boot. That's the most clean way. Except on my Laptop I didn't use multi partitions.

May the HDD is dead! It's already 6 years old and I just on installing all again on an new SATA 3 500GB. Just onlky werte need a few files/data. May I can get the out with an Disk Editor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
  9. moonrak

moonrak MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Hi,
    Usually when a hard drive is about to die it starts to make clicking mechanical noises which become even more frequently until it, eventually, dies.
    Have you heard those clicking noises?
    Moonrak

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try hirens boot cd .. find and mount to recover.

cant fix a bad hdd.. junk it.

12. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I've had exactly the same problem today because I've swapped my motherboard.

Windows 8 is an abject failure in this regard :(

In the old days (with windows 7), you could just make sure that the driver was specified in the registry under the "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase" key.

Then you would set the service to auto-load at boot by setting its "Start" value to 0

But now Windows 8 is a horrible mess. The CriticalDeviceDatabase has been deprecated and no longer exists. And now there's a new registry key called "StartOverride" in each service. The complete syntax of that parameter is currently unknown, so some people are experimenting with it and some people just delete the key out of desperation.

I had to remove the "StartOverride" key of the "storahci" service because I was desperate to get my computer to boot.

I hate Windows 8!!!

13. labtopia

labtopia MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2010
    hi guys, you hijacked this thread with some issue that is not what is described, start a new thread...

the solution unfortunately to INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE, after an upgrade from w7 on a macbook pro is a full clean install of w8

14. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Not factually correct. The Thread is: Inaccessible_boot_device in the Windows 8 Forum.

This is a problem that can have a wide range of causes including drive failure. MS Description:
    Post #5 mentions the MacBook Pro which he upgraded from Win7. This was not the case for the OP.
    How did you interpret this thread to be only about the MacBook Pro and Win7 to Win 8 Upgrade.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think it would be better to NOT show Mac/Apple behavior on the forum! This is a forum for ALL Brands and devices.

Regarding this thread, it's a thread about Inaccessible Boot Device, relatyed to Windows 8 and NOT Windows 7 in first line! If that also applies for Windows 7, we may could discuss about that. To accuse other to Hijack this thread with unrelated content, YOU have to point the finger at first to yourself while bringing Windows 7 AND a Macbook in too!

So I suggest that you better step back and go to any appropriate Mac/Apple forum before hijacking threads on this forum with unrelated content.

We talking here about an maqinly Hardware problem an on NON-Mac/Apple, instead of an PC which could running several OS's exclude Apple OS! And we talking about legal OS's and NOT Hackintosh!

Hirens Boot CD didn't have the Tools I need for to repair, neither to unlock the drive in Windows 8! After revitalizing, I was able to get that Data out I needed and now the HDD is running on a machine which is "cleaning" the HDD completely. If the 10x Brun In will work without to show any error I could use the HDD again. That will need quite a bit of hours and should be ready tomorrow at noon for to try a reinstallation of Windows 8.

Still I haven't found any way for to "unlock" the drive after it were get locked. Hopefully this would be a rare occasion and NOT a normal one!

16. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    #16 Leolo, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    I bet you're having exactly the same problem as I had. My solution was to remove the "StartOverride" key that is hanging under the "storahci" service.

I know it's a bit risky to delete things in the registry, but in my case it solved the problem!

PS: By the way, the "storahci" service is here, in case you didn't already know:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci

17. Mr Been

Mr Been MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2008
    @LEOLO

LEOLO: great film from Jean-Claude Lauzon

18. labtopia

labtopia MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2010
    thanks, unfortunately i went ahead and backed up my data and started with a fresh format on the partition and install, everything is working great, reinstalling progs now, but i wish i had an opportunity to try this key removal before wiping.

thanks for the info and i'll file it away for the next upgrade i try on another macbook pro.

dave

19. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    :) Yes, it's one of my favourite movies!