increase broadband speed?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by azrul, Mar 1, 2009.

1. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    im using a dial up modem n the speed is only 56kbps.
    is there any software that can increase my download speed?

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    DL Speed

There are progs/services that can increase surfing speed that have nothing to do with bandwidth. Bandwidth is just that: a lane of limited width that can handle just so much traffic, i.e., increasing the bandwidth increases the number or volume of packets that flow from the sender to the recipient; the speed of the packets is not increased. Let's say you have a two lane highway with a speed limit of 60 mph. If both lanes are full, then 7.2K cars a minute will pass by any given point. If you double the number of lanes to four, then 14.4K cars will pass but the speed will remain at 60mph. Regardless of your bandwidth, the speed of the transmission does not change - the volume changes.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    i saw in the internet,there is a software that can inrease the speed.its call cfosspeed n another one is speed master 1.0.
    how these software works?

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #4 HMonk, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    Antiques

Both these progs are antiques and claim only to do as I mentioned: optimize surfing. I don't know if they still offer it but ISPs like NetZero, et al., had a premium service ($3-4 extra) that did the same thing. Honoring truth in advertising, NetZero used to include a disclaimer that noted that their premium service did not enhance down- or upload speeds.

Caveat emptor.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. planet

planet MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    #5 planet, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
    hi azrul, you can try using [deleted], its really really will make your dialup connection more faster: Dial-up – 10x Faster, Broadband – 5x Faster, Mobile connections – 8x Faster . Only $42.99 a year.

6. techy

techy MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2009
    try Internet download manager . ( IDM )
    you definitely see your downloading speed is increased.
    It is easily available on net free.

7. pinkycook

pinkycook MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2009
    Increase BROADBAND

This is for broad band connections,

Make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator".
    Start->Run->type gpedit.msc
    Expand the "Local Computer Policy" branch.
    Expand the "Administrative Templates" branch.
    Expand the "Network Branch".
    Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window.
    In right window double-click the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" setting.
    On setting tab check the "Enabled" item.
    Where it says "Bandwidth limit%" change it to read 0.

Effect is immediate on some systems, some need to re-boot. This is more of a "counter what XP does" thing. In other words, programs can request up to 20% of the bandwidth be reserved for them, even with QoS disabled.

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #9 HMonk, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  9. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I'm not quite sure about editing any of my computer registry just to speed up my internet connection.

I've found something interesting over the internet. You can increase your browsing speed by editing firefox, if you use firefox as your default browser.

1. Open your frefox in a new tab and type about:config
    2. search for network.http.pipelining set it to 'true'
    3. same for network.http.proxy.pipelining set it to 'true'
    4. then, click to network.http.pipelining.maxrequest and put it '30'
    5. Lastly right-click> New> Integer and type 'nglayout.initialpaint.delay' and put it '0' value

This setting has increasing my browsing speed up 2x. If you ask me what is the function of editing each of the steps, I'll say I don't know. Maybe someone can explain about it.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #11 urie, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    im using a dial modem brand huawei e160 with a internet broadband package.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Sorry azrul, i missunderstood:)

13. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    simple fat cruel and rude answer: BIG FAT NO.
    you are on dialup (if via standard POTS plain old telephone systems)
    and since here its a huawai modem, which is either gsm/cdma/3g usb adapter based modem? its your ISP whom you need to kill, because they been stopping you from a net burst, situation 1, and if you are just a few meters away from the tower and still fscked up with slow speed? you need to kill your ISP because they are the one responsible, gsm and cdma and 3g all work on radio wave and perhaps they got the worst radio wave frequency configured towers.
    and whoever claims can increase ADSL/ADSL2+ speed or cable modem speed on a dedicated bandwidth, and something which is not shared are criminals (ideologically ethical criminals and thugs) and-or-else you are an IDIOT. because your dsl speed is hard coded set into dslam router ISP's router and not your device and unless you know how to break in (dont ask how!) you will never get past the designated speed.
    hope this helps. :-D

14. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Hahaha, :pnice. But I don't think this deserve to azrul. He is just a newbie who doesn't know anything much about computer. He just know what to say it broadband or dial-up and got mixed with it because he just doesn't know the right term to use it. It's just like me before I took Computer Science subject.

Once again, heheh. All be happy no need to get angry.:)

15. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    izh34 are right,i am what he say i am.

16. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #17 izh34, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
    Then you should now know more about the terms used in computer world. You can google it.:)

17. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Gentlemen

BE gentlemen: there are no other options! :cool:

Monk

18. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    what does it mean by be gentleman?

19. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Defined . . . .

Gentlemen: a civilized, educated, sensitive, or well-mannered man.

Monk