increase wireless reception?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by azrul, Feb 4, 2009.

1. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    is there a device that can increase notebook wireless reception?

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Interference

Minimize radio interference as a first step. Distance your base unit from radios, dimmer switches, phones, fluorescent lights (either the conventional tubes or the new energy saving bulbs), microwaves.

Secondly, if possible, mount the base unit high in the house (book/closet shelf, loft, etc).

If distances between the base unit and devices is great, install a wireless repeater at mid points.

Or switch over to Super G if you are using anything less.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    will try it.

the first n the second already done it.but never heard bout the third and the fourth.repeater n super g?will try looking for it.
    thanks anyway.

4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    You can purchase a notebook external wireless card with an antenna jack and use a small directional or Omni antenna on the laptop.
    You can add a repeater as outlined above.
    You can also install a single high gain omni with a pattern suitable for your needs on your AP and easily cover an entire home.
    I used to sell and install wifi, and in a typical home a high gain outdoor omni and a good AP will easily cover .25 to a full acre or more of open area, something like a 8-12 dbi gain with a downward electrical tilt of at least 3 degrees for close in coverage.

The most common problem is interference, try another channel...sometimes soo many neighbors also running wifi can cause issues you can do little to resolve except higher gain antennas, directional antennas and adjustable gain AP's....some AP's have much better radios than others...there's always 802.11A.

5. meherenow

meherenow MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2009
  6. techy

techy MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2009
    position your wireless router closer to the room
    * make your own directional antenna (FreeAntennas.com)
    * purchase a higher gain antenna for your router
    * add a wireless access point to your router (WAP)
    * add a wireless range extender/repeater
    * purchase a stronger wireless router (MIMO wireless router)

7. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #9 izh34, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
    no 1, i don't even understand what the diagram for
    no 2, i don't know what is higher gain antenna
    no 3, wireless acces point to my router? what's that?
    no 4, same as no 3
    no 5, can't afford to buy a new wireless adapter.

I have been making my own antenna for my wireless adpater using cold drink tins. Seems to work but the receiving signal is not constant. How can I make it constant? Do I need to make bigger antenna looks like petry dish? Or I just need to use elluminium instead of metal? Any suggestion?

8. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
  9. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    First, you are looking at the pictures that explain the theory related to antennas. Look at the link I provided in my last post, that has the instructions you need.

Second, there is very little that you can do at the laptop, especially with a cheap USB adapter. What you need to do is improve the signal strength from the router. That is what freeantennas is all about.

Third, if the router is not within your control or you really want a better solution for your laptop because you travel with it, then you will need to make an investment in new hardware, which means looking 802.11n. I saw that you said you can't afford a new adapter, but part of your problem is that you are using a cheap USB adapter. There is a reason why they are cheap. USB adapters have limited signal strength because of their design. There is nothing you can do to change that short of new hardware.

If you can't afford to buy new hardware, and can't modify your router, then you are stuck with what you currently have.

10. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #15 izh34, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
    I'm not using a laptop anyway. I use desktop PC and for right now I can't afford to buy new wireless usb adapter. So, I'm trying to figure out using cheap materials to increase my wireless adapter. First of all, I'm using soft drink can as the antenna. As a result my wireless signal increased by 20%. But it won't last longer, meaning that it will have lagging connection. I just want to know how to make it constant receiving signal. Do I need to follow exactly what the diagram showed in freeantennas or I need to buy a new expensive adapter (which I can't afford right now) or both?

11. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    The freeantennas reflector probably won't be that much better. If a 20% improvement isn't helping you to get a more stable connection, then I think you're looking at new hardware.

Why would you use a USB wireless adapter for a desktop PC anyways? Just put a PCI network card in it and run an ethernet cable directly from the router. You will have a much more stable connection with much higher through-put. You can get PCI 10/100 network cards with Realtek chips in them for about $10, for example.

12. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I live in campus so I'm using the University wireless connection. There is no way I could have an ethernet cable directly from the router.