Increasing and decreaing noise from XPS 730.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by djboon, Sep 2, 2011.

1. djboon

djboon MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2011
    #1 djboon, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    Hello.

Hope someone can help and hope that this is a good site to ask this question.

Firstly I have a XPS 730 and have had it for three to four years now. Got it as soon as it came out. For some reason I am now experiencing a noise problem. Once I start the computer up I here the usual whine or hum of the fans, cpu, hard drive starting up. After the computer has been on for 20 seconds say, the fan at the front starts increasing volume of sound and/or speed. This fan is not the fan that keeps the PCI slots cool, its the fan at the bottom of the case.

It keeps increasing until it's really loud and will last for say a minute. Then after a minute at top speed the noise / fan will then decrease speed and volume and keep decreasing until its normal volume.

Then the process repeats.

Ive opened up the tower and tried to ascertain where the sound is coming from. I have found that it comes from the fan next to the heat sinks and Air cooling system that cools the cpu. The air cooling system works by taking cool air and piping it over to the cpu (i think.) I felt the pipes after a couple of minutes and its seriously hot. Now I dont know if that is unusual or not.

Basically do I need a new fan due to fan making funny noise or is this problem more complicated ie bios problems / system config?

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Probably just needing a good clean the intakes do get blocked up over the years.

3. muu

muu MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    Probably needs cleaning like urie says.

If you think its BIOS problem try download Speedfan and watch the RPM of the fan if it is staying the same RPM or going faster like you think.

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. djboon

djboon MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2011
    Thanks for the responses guys. Ive tried to move the fan that cools the ATI cards and other internal cards but i cant get the lead disconnected. Please have a look at picture and please tell me how to disconnect it. Surely it should just unclip. Do I slide it off. Due to not disconnecting I cant remove cooling fan to enable me to get to Heat sink fan. Please help.

View attachment 11343 View attachment 11344

6. djboon

djboon MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2011
    when i now turn my computer on, its starts up then within seconds powers off. Is this fatal. Has the cpu burnt out or is it a componentg issue or power problem. Please help.