Inernet Explorer is slow slow slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by songweaver1, Apr 14, 2010.

1. songweaver1

songweaver1 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    I had a 'friend' tell me things to make my computer faster and now it is even slower. I did not write down the changes (DUH) and I don't know what to do to get my Vista dual core back to the speed I enjoyed when I bought it as a used unit to use in our company to edit video and build websites for minstries around the country and abroad.

My system :
    Vista dual core 2.13 Mhz/ 250 G SATA internal / 2 -1Ter external drives and 2 -350 Gb External / 5600 Invidia video card/ 4 Gb RAM

This machine was fast when I bought it especially after I added the additional 2 Gb RAM.
    Is there anyone out there that can give me instructions on what to look for and change? I am in no regards a Tech, but I can follow good instructions.
    Thanks in advance for any help

John

2. digital-life

digital-life MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2010
    Im not much a tech but I use crome and I find it to be alittle faster than explorer.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    More like time to run good antispyware or malware program and virus scan.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I was a Firefox user till recently but using chrome for the past 1 month. I find chrome to be very fast (a) with windows 7 (b) recent updates (5.0+ upwards). The reverse holds for Firefox. Even IE8 is better in win 7 but will wait for IE9 before giving up on IE.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. songweaver1

songweaver1 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    #5 songweaver1, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    (OP)
    Which ones would you reccomend? I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 at present and PC Tune UP. Please advise.

6. songweaver1

songweaver1 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    #6 songweaver1, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
    (OP)
    I downloaded Spybot and CCleaner and Defraggler. It looks like my scheduled defrag isn't working right or I'm shut down when it was scheduled. That can really slow things down can't it?
    I also downloaded Recuva. It showed 9200 files that could be recovered. Should I recover all of them? I know some were deleted by "my friend" that tried to help but only messed me up. How would I know which ones to bring back or not?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    KIS = Kaspersky Internet Security you already use it.

8. songweaver1

songweaver1 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    I realized that after I googled it Duh!

9. songweaver1

songweaver1 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    I ran the Spybot and did a recover on about 1000 of the files that Recuva offered. The computer was much faster on reboot, but soon slowed down again. Does that indicate somethi9ng that I might reset or adjust? Or something else?
    John

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. jeniferdesauza

jeniferdesauza MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2010
    Due to slow speed, I scanned for the spyware but the only think I found was a SaveNow registry entry which I of course removed. But it didn't change anything. It still runs slow and I don't know what the problem is.

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Try even something more like ESET's online scan and see if they pick anything up. With IE it could only be a matter of certain add-ons that slow it down. I know almost all toolbars make it noticeably slower. It could be spyware or a virus that is making it slow but I would think it is probably more like a fairly new piece of software that loads with the system that makes it slow. I also know that kis 2009 really takes up quite a bit of resources in itself so there might be a good change. Being a KIS user I know kis 2010 latest build really fixed a lot of speed related issues and made it more resource friendly but there again, I have a cracked trial of kis 2010 and I bet you have a paid license for kis 2009.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. kristain

kristain MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    If your Internet Explorer is slow, follow the given instructions:
    Delete Temporary Internet Files and Cookies
    Disable Add-Ons in Internet Explorer
    Reset Internet Explorer Start & Search Pages
    Reset Settings in Internet Explorer
    Disable AutoComplete in Internet Explorer
    Clear the Internet Explorer History Folder