Infinite loop: reverting changes. Don't turn off. Help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by supashaka, Apr 30, 2016.

1. supashaka

supashaka MDL Junior Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I did a fresh install of windows 7 ultimate with SP1 like I have in the past. As has also happened before after a fresh install, Windows update finds around 230 or so updates, but when I click download and install updates I get the infinite green bar going back and forth suggesting activity, but it stays at 0 updates downloaded no matter how long I leave it.

This time when I turned it off I was surprised to see it was saying preparing to configure updates 230 or whatever it was, so I let it finish after about 2 hours it eventually shut down. But now whenever I turn it on Windows says 'configuring updates, then says failure configuring updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer '.

I left it for over an hour and it never let me access W7, I tried manually rebooting and launched safe mode, and with networking, and with command prompt, but get the same result every time. Help! Surely there is a way of getting back into Windows, without having to reinstall?

2. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    Wow great thread, thanks. In the past I used KB3102810 so I was intending on using it just before W7 decided to revert changes and not let me back in haha. Incidentally it wasn't an infinite loop, the problem was that after about 2 hours I kept giving up and manually rebooting to try something else, but eventually last night it took around 3 hours and finally finished 'reverting changes' and let me back in haha, and I can now try what I normally do.

I'll update this thread if I run into more problems, but how did Micro$oft manage to mess this up so badly, it used to work fine for me a few years ago and now fresh install updates seem to be a lottery!!

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    They broke Win 7's WU when that GWX update arrived, I had a machine in to repair, guy wanted Windows 7 on it, I set WU going at 3pm, at 10am the next day it was still only 1/3 of the way done, that was when I found out there was a big problem

Now i just update everyone to 10, they're gonna get forced into it eventually anyway

4. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    Yeah I know right, but the problem is I upgraded to W10 and it worked for about a week or so, then online video kept freezing and sound would vanish, start button kept freezing, then the whole tool bar would disappear, I couldn't access W10 settings menu, I would need task manager to manage things because nothing would launch normally and all kinds of other nastiness.

I'm guessing that W10 works for the majority, but I wasn't alone in my problems, there are forums full of similar stories, which sucks since as you say they are aiming for one OS to rule them all, and we don't get DirectX12 which is the main thing I originally upgraded for.

I spent over a month on different forums including here, trying to sort the problems out, even Microsoft's own support couldn't fix it haha. I'll probably try a fresh W10 install at some point in the future to see if it all happens again ;)

5. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Had the same problem a while back. The trick here is to download and install no more than 50 updates at a time. Reboot and grab the next 50. Keep doing this till you get the all. M$ has surely done something to screw people up when they try to download and install too many updates at once.

6. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    I read your advice in the other thread. I'll definitely use it thanks!