[INFO - DISCUSSION + Downloads] Windows 10 1809 FINAL b 17763.xxx (PC) [RS5]

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Enthousiast, Sep 18, 2018.

1. SM03

SM03 MDL Expert

Dec 16, 2012
    Tested with two other systems running the same RS5 latest production build v379, the results are same, battery life is not showing, searched the net & this seems to be another (less known or talked) issue of RS5 that MS didn't fix.

2. Teknik

Teknik MDL Senior Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Bluetooth by me take a long time to find my phone and the transfer is slow :mad:

3. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    I have a quick question on Windows 1o. Which version of Windows 10 has the most amount of features? Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Pro for Workstation? I would appreciate any and all comments.
    Thank You.

:worthy:

4. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SM03

SM03 MDL Expert

Dec 16, 2012
    transfer speed depends upon many factors though i.e. distance, Bluetooth version, etc, the battery level indicator of BT devices issue I am talking about is relatively new that MS implemented from RS5, & that's broken.

6. quywz

quywz MDL Member

Jun 30, 2017
    @Enthousiast
    Is the LTSC 2019(17763.316) official release?

7. Windows_Addict

Jul 19, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Windows_Addict

Jul 19, 2018
    Its looking very promising, No issues so far.
    Defender definition Automatic updates also worked fine.
    I also tested Windows 10 update assistant app to update the os (which is often used by Windows to force updates) but as expected it failed.

The reason why i'm very excited about this method is because, i've faced a situation where update was disabled with group policy in Enterprise 1809 but somehow it still managed to update the os, although it doesn't happen always but i've lost faith in group policy method.
    Other methods either doesn't work properly or too intrusive for my taste.
    This pause update trick is the best. Hopefully it'll also work in 19H1 Home edition.
    BTW Please consider to make a separate thread for it for the proper discussion, reports and possible safe uses of it with fully manual updates and wushowhide.diagcab etc.
    Thank you.

9. cbsvitzer

cbsvitzer MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    This is just excellent

10. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    WUMT can still search for updates; wuauserv is not deactivated.

11. Windows_Addict

Jul 19, 2018
    #5171 Windows_Addict, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Pause updates option works at more deep level, it not only pause the updates but it also stops the os' ability (don't know a word to describe it) to search for the updates.
    I've tested WUMT, WUmgr, wushowhide.diagcab, and Windows 10 update assistant to search for the updates but they all failed but all worked when i resumed the updates.
    Important point here is that pause update option doesn't stop the defender definition updates and mandatory drivers and both can be searched and will auto install.

12. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Yes you can specify a dummy update server for the more advanced versions which in effect disables Windows update. That's actually how I have things set up on my system. However, doing that you lose all Windows update functions and I think the user's intent is to disallow updates, but allow virus definitions and driver updates. That's a bit tricky. I think it's an all or nothing thing, but there may be a way around it.

Personally I just disable all Windows update functions and do everything manually obtaining updates from the MS Catalog. At least MS has provided consideration for corporate deployment in that they they provide the catalog and allow admins an amount of control over the update process. If they take that away I'm definitely done with Windows.

13. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
    #5173 Leopeva64, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Speaking of pausing updates in the Home version, it's interesting that Microsoft is finally going to provide a way to pause updates for the average user in Home (I mean those who don't know or don't want to use scripts, modify the registry, GPO or anything like that), in version 1903, with just one click on the WU page, they will be able to pause the updates for 7 days and with three clicks they will be able to pause the updates up to 35 days, exactly as it can be done in the Pro version since long time ago.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...urrent-19h1_release.79198/page-2#post-1508243

14. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Good reason to skip Home and run Pro. Pro offers much more.

15. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
  16. Windows_Addict

Jul 19, 2018
    and my answer was..

17. Windows_Addict

Jul 19, 2018
    #5177 Windows_Addict, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019
    Thank you it worked fine. Some test results,
    WUmgr, wushowhide.diagcab, and Windows 10 update assistant were unable to search updates including driver and defender definition updates,
    but WUMT was able to search all the updates.
    Manual defender definition update worked but yet i'm not sure about automatic. Store updates also worked but .net 3.5 installation was failed.
    On my physical test machine, New 1809 x86 installation and applied pause update + dummy server but WU still managed to install the Nvidia driver.

18. Prometheus_II

Prometheus_II MDL Novice

May 5, 2015
    To block windows 10 update see my post in NTLite at the section, Block windows update, PAGE 5

You also need to rename wuaueng.dll in c:\windows\system32

and

c:\windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-w..wsupdateclient-core_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17763.107_none_23d826432f212d00\

to anything to TOTALLY block windows update. If you rename the dll file the update and restart the service will fail with a warning in event viewer, just shrug it off

Then you need Group Policy to prevent the rest of the stuff. Please note that the GP file I uploaded does have other stuff that is not related to windows update, things like personal settings. So if something of yours doesn't work first look in the Group Policy and correct the settings according to your liking.

I also setup ESET firewall to block anything from windows that remotely resemble communication with windows update.

Then lastly, The hosts file has everything in it to block all sorts of crap. Microsoft has changed the host file DNS lookup to dnsapi.dll. The normal hosts file still does it's job though.

I posted on which version it works and which it doesn't.

That is what I did.......use a net monitor like NetBalancer to monitor what is needed to block.

PLEASE NOTE: I manually added my IP in my NIC from my router since I also block DHCP.

Cheers

19. AshtonLee

AshtonLee MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2018
    Thank you i get it :3

20. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #5180 Krager, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    That's actually a subjective question with a subjective answer. A lot of it depends on how you feel about licensing. If you want to stay legitimate with a reasonably priced license you're limited to Home and Pro. It is possible to buy a volume license to legitimately run enterprise or education, but it's typically more money than someone would be willing to spend for personal use. The non-legit option is to run a KMS solution that provides activation.

You can't run enterprise or education versions without a KMS and/or a valid volume license key. You could actually buy a volume license from MS, but that would be a lot money to pay just for personal use. That being the case it would have to be Pro since Home is missing some pretty important controls (important to me anyway). For me Home is not even on the table lacking things like group policy editor and update controls.

It used to be Pro offered everything I need in terms of control, but in their infinite wisdom they decided to start removing controls from Pro, don't understand why, but they did. So I had to bump from Pro to enterprise and I use the LTSC version since I have no need for UWP apps.

There's not a whole lot of difference between education and enterprise so if you have a legitimate volume license through an affiliation that's a good option. Otherwise if going non-legit there's no reason to use education over enterprise. There's also the option of using Server as a workstation, but I have no comment on that since I haven't tried it.