Information about loaders and bios mods for a newbie

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kjl123, Feb 9, 2013.

1. kjl123

kjl123 MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    Hey all, I just stumbled on this website and I have a few questions that probably sound dumb.

1. Is an activator the same as a loader(se7en activator, daz, etc)? Is it possible for a loader or activator to modify the bios?

2. What are some selective advantages of modding the bios as compared to using a loader?

3. Is there a way to restore the bios if it gets screwed up?

Thanks

2. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    1. Windows activators can not modify your motherboard BIOS.
    2. It all depends on what you want to installl. You might mess up my motherboard permanently if you don't know how to flash it correctly.
    3. I don't think so.

Hope this helps

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    1. A Loader is only one type of activator. Besides OEM, there are other license channels like KMS, where activators also exist. The BIOS is never modified by the loader, everything modified is in RAM and thus easily reversible.

2. The big advantage of a modded BIOS is that it will work in certain situations where a loader won't. One prime example is a GPT-partitioned HDD.

3. Most BIOS/EFI firmwares today know some kind of recovery procedure, where you insert a floppy or USB device containing a good BIOS ROM with a predefined name. There's not simply black and white in this case, various levels of BIOS corruption do exist. If the bootloader/bootstrap code is OK you still have a chance to recover, in bad cases you need a JTAG/external burner or to perform hot-swapping/hot-flashing.

In other words: If you don't know what you're doing don't mess with it. :rolleyes:

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If you're going to use a loader I'd advise you use nothing but Windows Loader as the other software you suggested is a hacktivator, which is likely designed for build 7600 and not 7601. Also all older loaders don't contain any of the advanced options found in Windows Loader, so they don't activate half as many systems. Plus they're not encrypted or randomly generated.

To quote myself from the other day:
    So it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to apply a BIOS mod on new hardware and hope it works, or do you want the software solution that you can easily remove if there's a problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kjl123

kjl123 MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks for the info

Yeah, I had se7en but then i removed it and applied windows loader. By the way.. whats a hacktivator? Is hacktivator=activator? lol

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Hacktivator is a tool which modifies or replaces system files to achieve activation, in opposite to an activator like Windows Loader or Microsoft Toolkit which donĀ“t need this :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. kjl123

kjl123 MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    #8 kjl123, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    (OP)
    Just making sure... I kind of screwed up my OS the first time I installed it. Couldn't remove some of the activators/loaders. Will a clean system format undo all these complications and remove all these loaders/activators? I was thinking of formatting my system to create a fresh OS and use only windows loader so I don't run into complications later on.

8. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Formatting will remove everything activation related, unless you installed a BIOS mod. So in your case all you need to do is format and install the loader and you'll be fine :)