infromation about CISCO IOS

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by michelan, Feb 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. michelan

michelan MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    #1 michelan, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    hi all,

I made this post because I learn to get my ccna certification from cisco...
    I don't have the money to buy cisco equipments that are necessary to understand the course.

so my question is...?
    is there any virtual CISCO IOS system that I can download (use) instead of material, to practice network configuration from terminal?
    If yes..can I use it as a real cisco equipment?

in advance thanks

2. marti-n

marti-n MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2012
    Search for "Cisco Packet Tracer"

It's a program that provides a virtual environment to test Cisco devices. You can make an network with routers, switches, PC's, Laptops, etc etc

With the routers you can just open the Console and use it like an official Cisco router. Maybe it does not have 100% of the features, but I didn't found an missing thing so far.

Good luck with learning !

3. michelan

michelan MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    hi marti,

thanks for your answer... I know packet tracer... but this software provide by cisco is not complete. with packet tracer you only have 2% of all possible command. ios is much more bigger than what packet tracer can give you
    whatever i found exactly what I need.

GNS3==> w w w . gns3.net/

GNS3 is a graphical network simulator that allows simulation of complex networks.
    To provide complete and accurate simulations, GNS3 is strongly linked with:

• Dynamips, a Cisco IOS emulator.
    • Dynagen, a text-based front end for Dynamips.
    • Qemu, a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer.
    • VirtualBox, a free and powerful virtualization software.

now my probleme is wich CISCO IOS image can i download.. there are so many differents :tooth:
    I tried different ones but I don't see the difference beetwen them

4. jakemdl

jakemdl MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2012
    You can get a complete IOS feature set by running Dynamips/Dynagen/GNS3 (free download). It will run IOS for many different routers.

5. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    hey there,

greetings!

looks like i am digging a dead old post.

i know about gns3 and dynamips and dynagen and qemu and instead of virtualbox i use kvm.
    but my question is how to do/make this work in M$? i tried too many things, but i just
    simply cant make it to work in windows 7.

a friend of mine is planning to take up CCNA so he asked me if i can design a full blown lab.

i can do this with ease in linux (esply debian), but M$ i am encountering errors after errors and
    coredumps. i just cannot make it to work in windows 7 from M$?

if you know how to make it to work in windows 7 please share how you did it.

and lastly, if you got cco login you can download the IOS images. gns3 still doesnt implement
    switching, so your switching function is disabled. and you cannot run the GSR IOS images,
    viz. gsr12000 series, xD! i tried them but the images dont run in dynamips.

thanks!
    -paul

6. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    does it work in windows 7?

thanks!
    -paul

7. moleyt

moleyt MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    GNS3 working fine on my Win8.1. Just to expand onduh's post, catalyst switches cannot be run in GNS3 per se, but there is an "EtherSwitch" module, basically a layer 3 switch. If you boot this using the start-up config that comes with GNS3 ("D:\Program Files\GNS3\baseconfig_sw.txt") then the EtherSwitch comes up with ip routing disabled, so as long as you've got a switch module in it, for example the NM-16ESW, you've basically got a switch!! The commands differ slightly, or at least on my 3725 firmware, but the premise is the same, so just bear this in mind. The only difference I've noticed is VLAN configuration. But this works perfect for me as we have multi-layer switches at work, so good practice bed!

More information about this is available at hxxp://dubdubdub.gns3.net/documentation/gns3/switching-simulation-in-gns3. I think it'll be a matter of time before someone gets the switching implemented in GNS3.