Inline bathroom fan

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Red Squirrel, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel MDL Junior Member

May 6, 2010
    So I finally finished installing my new bathroom fan. Worked on it only on weekends and a bit in the week here and there.

Basically the fan is in the basement sucking air from a pipe leading up to the attic, then to the inlet in the bathroom. I could not vent in the soffit due to the attic/roof setup. Impossible to get close enough. Would of had to cut a hole in the roof to get to that part, and decided against that. I may need to maintain the fan in the future, I rather have it in an easily accessible area.

Venting through the roof was also not recommended by a roofer I talked to, due to moisture buildup inside the pipe - does not matter how well it's insulated.

Here's some pics of the process:

http://gal.redsquirrel.me/?level=album&id=31

I just have to paint the bathroom ceiling now. Overall this works very good, and is very quiet. All I can hear is the sound of airflow. If I go in the basement where the unit is, I can hear the motor but it's a very soft and faint sound. The dehumidifier overpowers it.

This probably ended up costing me like 500 bucks in materials but in the end it was well worth it, and it is highly maintainable if needed. I even added a cleanout.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GideonX

GideonX MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    Nicely done, RS.

I recently completed a very similar project on my bathroom as well. The previous owner covered the only window in the bathroom to install a shower stall. They decided the bathroom could do without a shorter window, or a vent, leaving the bathroom without proper ventilation. Bathrooms must have a vent to the roof or a window to the outdoors by most local laws, AFAIK.

So....short story long, I cut (2) 6 x 16 windows just above the shower stall. Now, all i have to do is replace the molded sheetrock.

Common sense seems to escape some folks.

3. Red Squirrel

May 6, 2010
    Yeah crazy the stuff people will do or not do. I can't imagine an unvented bathroom. Mine has a window, but just that alone does not do much. Technically a room with a door closed and a window open will not really get that much air exchange. there will be a bit of a brease but not much.

Also don't want to be opening a window when it's 30 below with blowing snow.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    Good Job RS, I lingered a while looking at the pictures, lol cool.

Here in PR no need for that, well that depends, but windows in bathrooms are always a must have.

5. Red Squirrel

May 6, 2010
    My house is older so it does have a window, but that alone is not really enough I find. Need some active ventilation going on. Unless there's lot of wind outside, with the door closed you hardly get any air exchange. Also would not want to be opening the window when it's 30 below. haha.

6. ecenur

ecenur MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    #6 ecenur, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    Great work, when I installed my bathroom fan I wasn't having any problems however, my motor does not have a quite faint sound mine sounds like the motor is about to either crash or explode? Why do you think that is? I'm also experiencing weird problems with my ceiling fan motors, it is making a weird noise expect I did not install this one. Could it be that the motor is dying?