Inplace update not working with GA enterprise ISO, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by velocidad, Oct 20, 2013.

1. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Well, long time ago I downloaded Windows 8 Enterprise x64 from MSDN and activated via microsoft, and now I got RTM and GA from other sources (what I mean it's that I did not download directly from MSDN). Now that I have some time I make some tests.

The activated machine has never get internet connection, results:

Enterprise 8 and RTM iso:
    -I use the Setup.exe with graphical options.
    - That iso don't allow me inplace update, only install with keep data, keep data and aps and keep nothing. Using keep data and apps, I got 8.1 deactivated.

Enterprise and GA iso:
    -I use elevated cmd ---> setup.exe /auto:upgrade (seem this option is the same as install and keep data & apps)
    -Using graphical interface of setup.exe is the same as before, no inplace update. Using keep data and apps, I got 8.1 deactivated.
    -My account password did not work, as it install english keyboard layout and set it to default (mine is spanish)
    -A new pop-up appear after install in the upper right corner telling me how to use the charm bar (something that did not appear on RTM)

Is this normal? Or should I think I download a bulls**t with same SHA1 as MSDN? Why I can't make inplace update with an activated Enterprise machine and GA iso? and moreover, Why are this iso's so different?

Then how to make inplace update to Enterprise edition without internet connection?

2. geier20001

geier20001 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2010
    Do you downloaded the ISOs before GA or after? They changed the VL-ISOs, the old one can't be used for an inplace upgrade. Don't ask why.

3. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Im using es_windows_8_1_enterprise_x64_dvd_2972092.iso it's released on MSDN 17/10/13, but I download from mega not MSDN, SHA1 match but who knows.

4. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    You could have replied in the other thread where you have linked this thread. In place update won't work with retail MSDN ISO, it will only work with Pro VL and Enterprise which is released on 10/17/2013. I have said that many times. You could have read my post.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. majo

majo MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    Velocidad please could you send me the links, please? a greeting

6. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Im using es_windows_8_1_enterprise_x64_dvd_2972092.iso it's released on MSDN 17/10/13, but I download from mega not MSDN, SHA1 match but who knows.

will send u pm

7. gfxcell

gfxcell MDL Novice

May 10, 2010
    #7 gfxcell, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    Ok.
    I have been reading up on all of this windows 8 and maybe someone can clarify some information for me and possible provide links.

1. Windows 8 and 8.1 ISOs
    A. there is the Retail (RTM) version (these can be used with OEM)
    core, pro, MCE
    B. there is a VL version.
    core, pro, MCE, Enterprise
    - These must be separate discs. (thus to have "all versions available you will need 2 discs/ ISOs)

2. The ei.cfg file (used in win 7 to change from retail/VL/OEM) is now only used in windows 8 to unlock versions and bypass mandatory key entry?

3. To upgrade from 8 to 8.1
    - retail and OEM will find a link in "store"
    - any version activated VL or KMS will need an in place upgrade from a complete 8.1 ISO.

------------------------------------------------------
    1. can you provide links to the correct ISOs (or PM me).
    2. does the updates from 8 to 8.1 require internet connection?
    3. is it possible to change and existing 8 installation from 8 VL to retail or OEM?
    4. is there an 8.1 update (like the retail and oem version) for VL in the works, if not what is so fundamentally different about the structure VL that makes that so?

Thanks

8. gfxcell

gfxcell MDL Novice

May 10, 2010
    location of iso?

9. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    See the ones with this sign (*), it means:
    Note: * represents that the Release is GA (17 Oct 2013) one, all other's are Pre-GA (9 Sept 2013).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...