Inplace-upgrade/repair-install possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CatNoise, Feb 9, 2013.

1. CatNoise

CatNoise MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    Is there anyway to fix the Windows-8-installation without loosing your applications? I have problems with my .NET-installation and SFC tells me that some files are corrupt and can't be repaired.

It was possible in Windows 7:
    pcworld.com/article/243190/how_to_repair_a_corrupt_windows_7_installation.html

2. maxb2000

maxb2000 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2012
    The same method its working using an Windows 8 DVD on Windows 8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. crabhunter

crabhunter MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2009
    WOW just what I need, I'll try that in the next week and report back :)
    Mike

4. CatNoise

CatNoise MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    #4 CatNoise, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    (OP)
    This is not true. When launching setup.exe from within Windows it's just offering me to keep my personal files, but this deletes the applications I have installed. Launching the Setup directly at boot it will tell me "The computer started using the Windows Installation Media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then insert the installation media and restart the upgrade"

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    It certainly depends on which files are corrupted. Not every installation can be redone/repaired through this way

6. CatNoise

CatNoise MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    Of course not every installation can be repaired through an Inplace-upgrade, but Windows 8 is not even allowing me to try this.

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    If W8 detects files which cannot be replaced/repaired through this method, it simply restricts it and leads you to the clean way to only keep files but no apps. Be thankful to keep the files at least

8. CatNoise

CatNoise MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    This is just not true. The Windows-8-setup is not checking if files are corrupt or anything. Perhaps I now found a way to do what I want by opening DVD/sources/setup.exe and not DVD/setup.exe.

9. CatNoise

CatNoise MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    You're still missing the point. I did not wish to restore, refresh or reset my PC and lose all my files. I just wanted to fix a .NET-issue. The Inplace-upgrade did apparently work by opening "DVD-drive/USB-Stick:\sources\setup.exe" directly, just like I mentioned before. The setup.exe in the root-folder is the wrong one. My files and applications are still there, .NET-applications are running again. I just have to reinstall the Windows-updates and that's it :)

10. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    It only works if you don't have WMC installed.
    Tried it my-self and it takes WMC out and deactivates.
    This sucks because I used the free WMC key and I can not reactivate with the key.

11. CatNoise

CatNoise MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    Search for the "UpDown8 - Windows 8 Upgrade/Downgrade Helper" on these forums and just choose Windows 8 Pro or whatever you are using. After the Inplace-Upgrade you can use your key again to add Media Center. It's exactly what I did.

Just be sure to use DVD-drive/USB-Stick:\sources\setup.exe

You're the one who is repeating nonsense. Restore may only help if you know at which time your system-files have been corrupted. Refresh will keep your Users-folder, but will still delete everything else.

12. CatNoise

CatNoise MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    You know what a 'hyperbole' is, don't you?