Insanely slow network activation after March 2019 update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jim_p, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Goodmorning everyone.

This is my first thread here on mdl forums and I decided to ask you all because I am out of ideas since April's update, which did not fix the issue.

After the windows (rollup, not security only) update of March 2019, it takes 2-3 minutes for my network to start. The circle on the network icon on the tray is spinning all that time and all I can do is wait for it to finish.
    What is worse is that during that time, no network related app (chromium, teamviewer etc) can open until it finishes!
    Static ip, static dns, wired connection to the router and ipv6 disabled. No av or other security related stuff.

Also, I use the exact same setup on linux, which is on the same system and has no network issues. In fact, the network there starts in 4 seconds and it is the slowest thing of the boot process
    Code:
    $ systemd-analyze blame
             2.114s ifupdown-wait-online.service
             1.788s ifupdown-pre.service
              962ms dev-sda3.device
              577ms udisks2.service
              457ms systemd-timesyncd.service
    What I have tried so far, with no luck
    - removing the rollup update of March 2019 and installing the security one in its place
    - removing the sha2sum update
    - removing openvpn
    - removing an old network share I made once in order to test serva (pxe server app). No other network shares exist on my pc.
    - checking hosts for odd entries, none found

The only odd things in event log are
    - a message saying it can not start virtualbox's network driver (VBoxNetAdp), although I no longer use virtualbox
    - a message about the time service (ntpclient, 0x80070490)
    - a message about dns client events with 3221225485 as code error
    and I think that last one may be what I am looking for.

Please share any ideas. Thank you in advance :)

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    First of all, thank you both for your help :)

@Carlos Detweiller
    When trying to install kb4099950, I get the info popup that says it is already installed on my system.
    How will I get rid of VboxNetAdp if it does not appear on my add remove programs, or at my network connections, or even as a protocol on my existing connections, like the ones from vmware player do.

@Michaela Joy
    I removed the "#" from the relevant line in the hosts file but still no luck. Also, I have noticed that the hosts file in linux has the same line in it, without the "#".
    Plus, the file is readable and executable by users, while administrators and system have full access to it. I would post a screenshot but it is in greek :p

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Check the following Registry key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VBoxNetAdp
    If the "Start" value is not 0x00000004, change it to that value (0x4 means disabled). Alternatively, delete the whole key (only that key, nothing else!).

5. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Nice idea, thank you! It did not work though :( Shall I delete the key altogether? There is no vboxnetapp in my services.msc.
    On top of that, and in case it helps, regedit also started after the network became available, although it has nothing to do with the network.

Adding to the above, I also
    - disabled ipv6 on vmware's virtual network adapters
    - checked the pc for viruses and malware with mbam and kav rescue disk, but it is clean
    - made sure it is not in some "home group". The first thing I disable after installation is home group.

6. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    After noticing the delay on regedit, I have started to think that the slow network activation may just be the tip of the problem, so I am looking for ways to diagnose the slow boot in general. Any suggestions are welcome.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Have you tried to remove all your ethernet devices in the Device Manager, and remove the drivers too, Then reboot and re-install the drivers. What ever has fouled up the settings should be gone after doing that, and you should be at all the system default settings. If you post your system specs someone could provide a link to new drivers.
    (Get the drivers first before removing all of the ethernet devices)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #9 Yen, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    How exactly is your network config /properties on that physical w7 PC? Do you have network shares?
    I assume you have double checked your fixed IP address / DNS address since you are not using the router's DHCP?
    You've posted to have virtual adapters installed, too?

It looks like the attempt to establish a network connection retards other tasks. Strange that there is nothing found in the event log.

It there any service just at starting......?

How about booting in safe mode with networking?

Have you tried to boot up without LAN cable plugged? (Regedit delay etc etc)....
    Maybe plugin LAN cable later after boot-up to have another chronology of events...and recheck logs / services

Maybe check also issue from perspective of the router / log....when can it establish a connection?

9. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    #10 jim_p, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    (OP)
    @Yen
    Static ip, static dns (google's), no network shares on that pc (several network shares on other systems on the same network though).
    And the 2 virtual network adapters vmware player makes for nat and bridge connections (named VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 and VMware Network Adapter VMnet8 for some reason).

Starting in safe mode makes the network connection start in 10 seconds max. Also, when the boot is delayed for windows update because it stays for some time in the "welcome" screen saying "installing updates please wait", the network connection comes up faster than those 2-3 minutes.
    Booting with the cable unplugged pops up that red X on the icon, apps open as usual, but as soon as I plug it back in, it does the same delay.

And I do not get the router part :p

@Joe C
    I will do it today and post later about it. All I have tried is to install newer drivers for the nic, which did not help at all.

More stuff I did
    - I also run these on an elevated command prompt
    Code:
    netsh int ip reset test.log
    netsh winsock reset
    which removed the static ip, dns etc from the network connection, but did not help either. I re-entered my network settings after.
    And nothing at all starts at startup, either via the registry or via the startup folder on start menu.

Sorry for mentioning stuff one at a time, but it has been 1.5 months since I first started troubleshooting it and I can not remember all I did.

---edit
    I tried the new drivers suggestion. I unistalled the current ones, rebooted, installed the fresh ones from realtek, but nothing changed.

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #12 Yen, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Since w7 works in safe mode with networking it's no native driver issue.
    It's either an adapter conflict or a service that delays.

Or (windows) firewall rule / config? No I guess you've disabled it to test already, right?

Troubleshooting requires a systematic plan which would be time consuming...

Adapter conflict
    -disable any network adapter except the real one (real NIC) and test again, if not working.....

-delete all them. Scan for new hardware and re-setup it from scratch...
    Use only one adapter that is needed to establish a real connection to your router. (Simplest network possible. Maybe first using DHCP and no static config)

This might indicate there is hidden adapters left. You could get rid of those as well to have them cleaned.
    W7 reminds of adapters installed and continues counting them...it seems you had some more used and 'uninstalled' already...

Services:
    Run msconfig and tick hide Microsoft services. Then deactivate all (this will deactivate any services, except those from M$)

Doing that will make you differentiate if it's a MSFT service or not...

Then systematically narrow down the services in question.

Alternatively:
    Just make a new clean installation of the OS. Saves probable time (altogether).

Check your router's logs while w7 has the spinning network circle to get more info....(and if the router is attempted to get reached during 'spinning'....)

**Actually obsolete since your w7 network works in safe mode**

12. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    I will try your suggestions tomorrow probably. I just want to mention something weird I found. The connection properties (ip, mask, gateway and dns) were set to auto after updaring the driver :/
    The solution of reinstalling is rejected because setting everything up again will make me lose a couple of days.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    I see.

w7 network can sux when using static addresses. I once had issues and could not get a connection for unknown reason...

Best had been to delete any config / network / adapter (also hidden ones) and to start over from scratch.
    I'd go for default settings and try to get anything assigned from the router dynamically first.....

This is actually no reason for connection issues.
    What do you mean posting 'disable home group'..?

When using home location additional services such as discovery and HomeGroup (requires IPV6) are enabled also for introduction.
    But you don't have to create / join a group.

The work location is similar to the Home location but disables the use of the HomeGroup functionality.

14. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    #15 case-sensitive, May 8, 2019
    >The solution of reinstalling is rejected because setting everything up again will make me lose a couple of days.

LOL ......How many days have you spent trying to find your needle in a haystack?...... A haystack that you made ?...... Now you want other people to take blind shots in the dark in a vain attempt to ' Save time ' ?

Your talking about a cat in a sack and noone ......including you ......knows what that cat looks like ? Or how it got there .

At the ' Experts ' ......WTF !!! ...... Telepathic ' solutions ' dont work ? His operting system is f**ked . The registry is f**ked = 1 Solution = Kill it and put the operating system back in again ..

Record the steps you make and then come back if it doesnt work . Then people know the whole situation and might be able to help you.

When you get it right make a partition / HDD copy so that if any problems arise you can put the copy back in agin in a few minutes .

When new updates are released ...... wait a few days to see if the net says that they're safe ...... then put them in and make another copy . Then whatever happens your safe .

15. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
  16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @jim_p: I would say it's time for a well deserved Mocha (or something stronger...)

@case-sensitive: All's well that ends well. :)

17. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Well, I have to check that all the programs which had some service in there work properly. They are not many, but most have 2+ services, e.g. vmware player has 3 or 4!

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #19 Yen, May 8, 2019
    It's all about to follow 2 basically different approaches!
    1. Effective solution as we do here when administrating: Immediately a new clean installation. Only this is a direct solution!
    2. Troubleshooting by narrowing down and to find out the exact reason and to gather experiences for the future. This by the way IS what makes experts.

I'd not reply if I had the feeling wasting my time.

I thought it were more like half-greyed out (ghosts left-over) adapters on w7 but I dunno anymore...
    EDIT: Had to set variable devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices to 1 to make them visible...was years ago, could be wrong...

This means the OS is not f**ked.
    ..continue narrowing down.....re-enable more and more services....I did suspect vmware from the time I posted adapter conflict.

19. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Jim ...... If your happy i'm happy :)

>What do I do now?

Two choices = Use it and see if it works and keeps working ...... or put it in again .

You had a problem . You did some things that apear to have solved it ...... but ...... as you dont know what the problem was or its cause you definately dont know if you cured a symptom or the problem ?

A common problem is that people see that they have a problem ...... and then go off half cocked ...... and make it worse by trying a ' solution ' and then when it doesnt work they dont undo the steps and then start another ' solution ' .

>As for the updates, there is no "wait a few days before installing" for me. I install them as soon as I get into windows, whether this is on day one or a week or more later.

Do you make the mistake of not making a partition / HDD copy before you do it ?

>@case-sensitive: All's well that ends well. :)

:) ....... Its not over till its over :) ....... Is it over ? :) ...... I hope so .

>This means the OS is not f**ked.

Thank you for your opinion . Did you read this ? ---- >

>a message saying it can not start virtualbox's network driver (VBoxNetAdp), although I no longer use virtualbox

= Registry garbage .

>a message about the time service (ntpclient, 0x80070490)

Is part of the operating system .

>a message about dns client events with 3221225485 as code error

EepOobe.etl error code 3221225485 is part of the operating system .

>2. Troubleshooting by narrowing down and to find out the exact reason and to gather experiences for the future. This by the way IS what makes experts.

Nope . That was how we used to try to do it = we spent hours / days months and years trying to narow down problems bý removeing anything that the operating system doesnt need ...... and then trying to replace parts untill we found the problem . Risking that those replacement parts also get f**ked . Never knowing if we solved the problem or if we only solved a symptom .

What makes experts is knowing when to try to repair a problem or when to just bite the sour apple and start from 0 .

At experience

Where i live computer shops dont repair computers they just say throw it away and start again ...... because its easyer , cheeper and doesnt take as much time and stress . If the victim doesnt understand they explain that the minimum charge is more or the same as getting another computer .

Jim ...... If your happy i'm happy :)