Install check

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by scaramonga, May 10, 2016.

1. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Interesting conundrum we have, and one I'm not used to installing an OS.

Choices.

Install 10 with no connection to the outside world, it knows that, thus sets up a local account with the bare minimum, end of.

Install 10 connected, and you get the privilege of a Microsoft account, but it will also do what the hell it wants, aka, install s**t galore (a good example being the Nvidia driver set, with all the trimmings) regardless of whether you want them or not.

Now we all know the above, all too well now, unfortunately :)

Never have I planned so much, as to what steps to take before plugging a system into the world, as I have now with 10.

This is what I have come up with, regarding my girlfriend's laptop, which incidentally, picks up no Wifi drivers during install, and I refuse to install the whole Intel package just to get them (8260 card), but does when connected via Ethernet, only, along with all the other s**t.

1. Make sure Ethernet is NOT connected.
    2. Install 10, local account available only.
    3. Install 10 updates, I have them already, up to 240.
    4. Disable Windows Update Service.
    5. Do usual GPedit tweaks for updates/drivers.
    6. Reboot.
    7. Devices/Hardware drivers no thank you tweak.
    8. Reboot.
    9. Plug in Ethernet and pray.
    10. Should nothing happen (hopefully), run the Windows Update Enable/Disable script with Mini-Tool, choosing what I want to install/hide on the system.
    11. Switch account to MS.
    12. Make sure nothing I disabled has been re-enabled.

Wow. That just got a whole lot harder. Please LMK if I have missed anything?, PLEASE!

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    What's your question?
    If you just don't want it to update drivers then disable that through the registry before connecting it to the network. Done.

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    What are your concerns? I always am connected to internet when installing, and I have installed too many times to count. I always pick local account, then my name. Express settings. Download Nvidia drivers. Restart. Switch to MS account. Then I do customizations, but I always, always let MS download updates. Not that there are that many, just store as I am on Insider Preview. BTW, all Windows 10 updates are cumulative. You will only get the one update for the OS itself. It is not like Windows 7 where you can get a boat load of updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. scaramonga

Oct 27, 2012
    #4 scaramonga, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    (OP)

Well that is utter nonsense for a start.

Do you not think I tried beforehand? Laptop, connect - BOOM! all sorts of updates, no notifications, nothing. Your getting this and that, regardless of whether you like it or not!

Lets take the drivers as an example.

Why would I ever want 3D vision on my laptop? (a 15.6" screen that can barely look good normally, never mind in 3D?, and not that it supports it anyway)
    Why would I ever want the GBloat Experience on my laptop, with all the 'backend' s**t included?

No, I just want drivers MS, and I'm perfectly capable of installing them myself (without the bloat), thank you.

Lets move on..

Why do you insist on updating my Bluetooth drivers, despite me having the device disabled?, then, re-enabling it just to piss me off?

Lets go further...

Why do you insist on installing Synaptics drivers that I don't want? I'm very happy with the version I use thank you, and for good reason (not yours). Not only that, but it resets all my settings when you do!

I could go on, but seriously? Just inform me of possible updates, and let ME choose what to do, like it used to be, you know? back in the good old days, (a list from which to pick/hide from) before one was too scared to connect the device to the big wide world.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Sounds you better can install Enterprise LTSB and choose your own updates as far as I know ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Your not forced to use an MS account anyway. You can skip & select a Local account even when online.
    Tweaking your system is fine - like every other OS.
    If your that scared, stay with Win 7...

7. scaramonga

Oct 27, 2012
    I don't give a rats ass about what account, I was merely pointing out the differences between offline and online installs. All I want is to be able to install, connect, and have the freedom to be able to set up how I like, not how someone else likes. Is that too much to ask these days?

It obviously is. (or go back to Win 7 answers)

Fair enough. Which is why I posted this thread in the beginning, with the careful steps to avoid such nonsense anyway.

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Just install Windows Update Mini Tool in my sig, set it to notification mode, install which updates you wish after 1st install:D