Install legal Windows 7 OEM over a illegal SLIC table

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lump, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Lump

Lump MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    #1 Lump, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. stme68

stme68 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    Hi,
    I'm not sure you can buy an OEM license... OEM channel is only for OEM BRAND PC with preinstalled W7.
    You can buy a full license or an Update license... may be I'm wrong, but... I'm quite sure about that...

3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #3 Mr Jinje, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Considering that COA based Retail OEM activations do not use SLIC in any way, you have legal grounds to complain if they do de-activate you.

4. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    You can always flash your BIOS back to the original latest version.

5. Lump

Lump MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    The question is.. how?

6. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    As explained by Mr Jinje, you don't need to.

The OEM version you can buy in a store is not the same as used by branded computers, it is retail, so you don't need SLIC. Just install and activate your windows.

P.S.: these OEM versions are intended to be used by computer builders, read the EULA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Matty Lowe

Matty Lowe MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    I was thinking of doing the same, I used Remove WAT to install Windows 7 Home Premium on an older laptop. Do I purchase an upgrade version or do I have to install the full version?

8. Lump

Lump MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    Ah ok... so the fact that my ASUS says DELL in SLIC doesnt make my installation go bad. Just for my information? will it overwrite that information?

9. Yoshi

Yoshi MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2009
    No, it won't overwrite it but the Key you buy in the shop is different than the OEM:SLP Keys from OEM-Computers. The information is still there but the bought version won't use it.

10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    No - it will not overwrite that information.

SLIC is for the big OEM companies like Acer. ASUS, Dell etc.

Most motherboards do not have SLIC tables in them.

When you buy an OEM Windows from a store it is really just a retail version and it activates over the internet just the same -

BUT once activated it is tied to the board it was installed to AND it cannot be transferred to another motherboard - This is why it is cheaper.

Just download a BIOS from your motherboards support site if you really feel the need to BUT I wouldn't bother if your current BIOS is ok.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Yoshi

Yoshi MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2009
    It can be transfered but maybe can't get activated over internet. you have to call M$ for activation.

12. straha

straha MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2009
    To put it as simply as I can, what you buy at a store like Best Buy is a Retail version. The Retail version does not use SLIC, so you are free to use a retail version on any computer, regardless of the BIOS.

Honestly, I would not touch your BIOS at all if you plan to buy a retail copy of Win7.

13. Lump

Lump MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    \

Well, I recently upgraded the bios firmware but the SLIC information is still there.. I guess its not possible that part of information.

How about the Windows 7 Loader. I installed it as well, could that cause any problem and/or do I need to uninstall the patch?

Sorry for all my questions. I just wanna know for sure i'm not going to have some nasty issues when installing.

14. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    I think you answered your own question.

Run the bootsect.exe command (see Repository for details)

15. Lump

Lump MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    Ok, so just clear out the MBR and that should do the trick.

Any other idea about howto restore the original data in the SLIC table?
    Just to have everything clean and how it should be?

16. Lump

Lump MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    #16 Lump, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    (OP)
    hmmm i'm still a bit confused about the SLIC part. Ive just seen an article about someone who says MS will block the certificates stored in SLIC. In my case I got a Dell based certificate installed in SLIC.

So if microsoft will block that certificate my legal Win version will get blocked as well? :confused:

17. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Ya, my thoughts exactly. If the bios modded SLIC is not cleared and the original restored how will your system be safe from WAT update even if u bought the retail verison.

18. Mtthwpez

Mtthwpez MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2008
    #18 Mtthwpez, Feb 16, 2010
    No, Microsoft cannot see what is in your bios. If you have bought a legit licence key, be it Retail or OEM then you will be fine to activate it over the net.

If you are currently activated via a loader or via a certificate/OEM licence key, you will need to remove these before you try and activate with the new licence you bought.

On your other point, MS cannot block the Slic table in your bios, only the OEM keys that the big manufacturers have been using to preactivate machines sold since its release.

19. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #19 Rosco, Feb 16, 2010
    Really - all this panic about becoming de-activated. When M$ released SP1 for Vista it they said it was going to fix all activation exploits - IT DIDN'T and loaders still work as is proven on these forums.

The loader is providing the SLIC information as well as any BIOS mods present. Getting rid of the loader is a good idea - and easy - flashing your BIOS back to the original or updated genuine BIOS for your board is optional.

20. Mtthwpez

Mtthwpez MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2008
    #20 Mtthwpez, Feb 16, 2010
    Just thought, MS could however upgrade the slic from the 2.1 that is currently used, but this would have a major impact on every pc/laptop that has been sold since win7 was released.

If they did go that way every pc/laptop will need a bios update. For me I dont think MS will go that far, or they will have a massive pr battle with current owners that suddenly become unactivated!!