Install Problem. Please Help

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dougdude9, Feb 5, 2014.

1. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
  2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    burn at slowest speed or use a usb flash drive if you have one, if the sha1 is correct with the iso.

3. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    I downloaded and installed hashtab, but I have no idea how to use it. Where can I find instructions on checking the hash? I'm not even sure I fully understand what that means.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Right click the ISO file - Properties - Open the "File Hashes" tab. Let it proceed, then compare the hashes with the ones posted here.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    right click the iso you downloaded, go to properties and click file hashes, wait for it to finish and paste into "hash comparison" the SHA1 you have on this thread, into the space and it should show you a green check mark if matches.

-ed-
    Carlos beat me to it lol

6. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks guys! It checked out ok with what is listed in the repository thread. I also googled it and it seems to be ok.

So I decided to go the usb route. I downloaded the Windows 7 usb/dvd download tool. I pointed it to the iso and then pointed it to my 4gb usb stick. It got to 99 percent and then said it couldn't copy the files. So maybe there is something wrong with the iso I have. I'm re-downloading the same one again just to see.

I think maybe this is a sign for me to stay away from Windows 8!

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    it is your usb stick, it doesnt have enough space on it. it might say 4gb but it isn't. You might need go another route with that, Im not sure of rufus can take care of that or just use a larger usb stick if you have one handy.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
    "Trust the force, Luke."

just not MS, the signs might be worth listening too hehe

8. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    A sign to use at least an 8GB USB me thinks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Problem after problem.

Ok, I have it on a usb thumbdrive now. However, even after hitting F12 to go into my Gigabyte G41m-ES2H boot options, not matter what usb device I select, it won't boot to it. Just goes into my windows 7 os. I have tried usb fdd, usb cdrom, usb hdd, usb zip. I'm out of ideas here.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again,
    D

10. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Ok, figured out the issue. I got it to boot from the usb stick, but I have the original problem again. It sits there at that blue window for awhile and then it flashes up some weird white text on a black screen and then reboots. So, I know it wasn't my dvd or the image now. Again, it works in another computer. Not sure why it isn't working on this one.

I just don't think it is going to happen.

Could it have anything to do with UEFI? I don't even think my mobo has that. I don't see it anywhere in the bios anyway.

Thanks,
    D

11. geobot

geobot Guest

I think it needs a BIOS update..

12. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Ok I updated my Gigabyte G41m-ES2H bios to the latest which is version F2. It still does the same thing.

This time I took out my phone and video recorded the screen so I could then pause it on playback to see what it says. Here is what it says:

Your PC needs to restart.
    Please hold down the power button.
    Error Code: 0x000000C4
    Parameters:
    0x0000000000000091
    0x000000000000000F
    0xFFFFF80277F49A80
    0x0000000000000000

I don't have a clue what that means. I will try to google it, but I have a feeling I'm out of luck.

I called Gigabyte and the guy said they have people running windows 8 on this mobo. Not sure how reliable him telling me that really is.

Anyone have anymore ideas or is it time to give up?

Thanks,
    D

13. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Well, it must be my processor. I can't believe I wasted all these hours today trying to figure this out and now I have hit a brick wall. Why did the app I downloaded from M$ tell me I could run Windows 8 when I obviously cannot.

Here is what I found about the error message I get:
    Under Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2, both user mode and kernel mode virtual address spaces have been extended to 128 TB.[68] These versions of Windows will not install on processors that lack the CMPXCHG16B instruction.

What a bummer!

D

14. dougdude9

dougdude9 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Upon further research, it looks to be a problem (bug) with Pentium D 8xx processors. THe actual processor has all the requirements, but there is a bug. There are threads about users with the Pentium D 8xx processor and they install window 8 no problem. When they went to upgrade from the store, it wouldn't allow them to. Once they put in a Pentium D 9xx processor, then it would allow them too.

The crappy part is that the 8xx processors should work. Also I'm not sure why M$ went and changed the darn hardware requirements in 8.1? They should be the same as 8.0, but they are not.

So now it is time to decide if I should just get a whole new computer or if I want to purchase a Pentium D 9xx processor.

Thanks,
    D

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    have you asked yourself if windows 8.x is so important that you need to buy new hardware to run this OS? There will always be the alternative of Windows 7 or Linux. Both should run on your hardware with no problem.

Unless it is time for a hardware upgrade, IMO, the OS wouldn't be what dictates my wallet.