Install question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pasta88, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    Hi, I currently have a tri-boot system set up on my PC with Xp, vista and win 7 with Win 7 being the last OS installed. I don't like the way vista is running so I would like to reformat the partition it is on and install vista again. Would this hurt anything? If it hurts the bootmgr only, can I easily just fix it with easybcd?

plz let me know.

thx

2. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    Responses plz

3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If XP is on partition #1 odds are you can delete Vista without any issues at all, just look for the active partition when your on Windows Vista.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Daz is right. Probably is marked both system and active

5. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    XP is one it's own hard drive. Vista and Win 7 are on my other HD both on separate partitions. So I will be OK to delete vista, format the partition it was on, and re-install vista on the same partition and it won't bother nothing on any of the 3 OS's? What about the bootmgr for vista/win 7?

Again plz let me know this is the case.

thx

6. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Can't be 100% sure. Open Diskmgmt.msc from inside Vista. Imageshack a jpeg for us.

Then be double sure do the same thing for Windows 7 (and XP while you at it) :EVIL GRIN:

If you do all that I will tell you if it is safe or not.

7. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #8 Mr Jinje, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    Do not delete Vista, it is your Disk 0, Partition 1, Both Windows 7 and Windows XP require that partition for booting.

What happened to the free space at the 221 GB, when you deleted that partition is when Vista stopped booting ??

Next time you insall, simple trick I use is the remove the other HDD from the system. That way when you re-install XP, it will not require the other HDD. Same thing when Re-install the VISTA. If you install W7 first and use a 100MB system partition (default istall), maybe you could install Vista second, and have both based from the same 100MB partition and then you would be able to re-format without affecting either OS

Might go something like this

100MB partition - For Boot W7 and Vista
    25 GB W7 Partition
    25 GB Vista Partition
    REST of HDD

XP alone on the other drive. - ntldr on C:\ just like in old days.

8. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    I used gparted live to format both my HD's. I put Xp on it's on HD. I formatted 2 partitions on the other HD, 1 for vista and 1 for win7. The rest of the space was leftover.

What would I have to do to get vista back? I do have a bkp image of all three.

BTY, I forgot to tell you that your English is very good if Chinese is your primary language.

thx for your help. I appreciate it.