Install retail Pro over Starter netbook

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by blauer, Jun 24, 2010.

1. blauer

blauer MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    A relative has bought a netbook HP with 7 starter version, and it is sucky :D

I have a retail 32-bits Windows 7 Professional I'd like to install on there. But the serial key I bought, I used for my own PC :p

I know how to get the DVD onto the USB stick, but how can I convert the retail to OEM and then use the SLP and SLIC tables and certificate? For Vista I remember using a nice GUI tool that did everything at once :D It would also be nice to get rid of all that HP crapware.

Should / could I extract the files from the existing Starter installation?

Regards

2. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    What do you mean by saying sucky? It could be due to the hardware specs and not the windows 7 version.
    You could use the anytime upgrade feature and just change the oem slp key.

3. mongen

mongen MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    starter is sucky because it is so limited - only 3 programs open at the same time is it? fvkc that.

4. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #5 bluealien, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    Ok, if that is the case then he can simply change the key using the windows anytime upgrade. No need to reinstall windows 7. Unless he wants to do a clean install to get rid of bloatware, if there are any or if it slows down the netbook.

It has starter installed, so it follows that it has slic 2.1 and a cert. He only needs to do an upgrade using a pro or ultimate oem key.

*it is always a good idea to back up the key and cert though, prior to upgrade.

5. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    On a netbook. I think Home Premium is a good choice for an upgrade. But if you want all the bells and whistles. Go for Ultimate. As others said. Just pop in the correct upgrade key. Or do a clean install of OS then install cert./key manually. I would personally do it that way to remove all the bloat. Plus you get a nice clean fresh start.

6. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
  7. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Agreed with iNO12, my notebook come with Home Premium, I upgrade it to Pro and recently upgrade it again to Ultimate just by using the OEM keys posted here.
    Cheers!
    PS Ensure System Restore is turn on! or else it would upgrade.

8. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You do not need to convert anything because the activation subsystem automatically switches to whatever mode the PKey you enter requires.

(Retail if Retail key is installed, OEM if SLP key, Volume if GVLK, GracePeriod if default key.)

In other words what type of install-medium you use (Retail/OEM/Whatever) doesnt matter at all.

Just use whatever you have handy, pick an SLP key, install the proper cert and youll be good to go. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. coolwop

coolwop MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2010
    Hi everyone! this is my first post here in this forum (even though I have been lurking for a while) and I guess this thread is good enough to ask my question.

I have recently bought an Acer Aspire One D260 with Win 7 Starter pre-installed.
    Because of the limitations of Starter I wanted to upgrade to 7 Pro. So I made a backup of my cert+SLP using the SLIC Toolkit and I upgraded to Professional using Windows Anytime Upgrade and the proper key found in this forum.
    Since Win7 Pro runs pretty smoothly on the netbook and since I own a copy of Windows 7 Professional, I decided to make a clean install of everything (in order to get rid of all the pre-installed junk) and I installed my Win 7 Pro from a USB key (without activating it).

At the moment I still have to activate Windows. And I'm a little troubled on what to do since I would like to "save" my genuine key for another PC (indeed I feel that Pro on an netbook is quite a waste, but on the other hand Starter is too "sucky" as someone said earlier in this thread). So, my question is, if I use the Acer OEM key found in this forum, will I be able to safely activate Win? Do I need to install my old cert?

Ciao!

10. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Yea of course you have to.

cert+oem:slp key+slic 2.1 (already there) in bios will activate it.

11. coolwop

coolwop MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2010
    Thank you for your replies!

Will this activation pass the KB971033 update?

12. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Its OEM:SLP activation so yes?!

Its not a crack, loder or circumventing, its an upgrade..

13. coolwop

coolwop MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2010
    Ok thanks!

I thought it would be like that but I wasn't 100% sure.