Install vmWare Workstation 9.x on WES7?

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by MrChris, Feb 25, 2013.

1. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I'm looking to get vmWare workstation 9.x installed onto a wes7 image or install. But the main idea is to keep the os dependencies as small as possible while keeping vmware fully operational. Kinda like a gsx server but using Wes instead.

Any ideas? :)

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Isn't ESXi appropriate for the purpose??

:g:

3. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I'm looking for a small foot print install of Wes7. Esxi is too thick. i don't think esxi he a good console GUI from host console.

4. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I cant remember which version of the vmware gsx or esx core it was but one of them ran under windows and where intended for the guest vm's to be used via a remote connection of such. Didnt really have much of a GUI like the Workstation version.

I am working on getting a Small Footprint version of WES7 or WES8 (when it is final) with only basic sound/networking/etc.. working on the host side and have it boot right into vmware workstation (set windows shell as vmware workstation) so that I might be able to tab between my os's. However the main ideas is for the HOST side of the OS be as small as possible with as little overhead as possible and still be able to control and view everything from the host. I know that vmware is not small so im not sure how the results will end up but it will be a fun project nonetheless. I just thought I would see if anyone else out there has tried the same idea?

~MC

5. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    yeah I agree. iv been giving it some thought, and all though I have pondered the idea for a while now. now that I am actually kinda sorta getting it to work. its one of those things that sounds better in my head, lol. Odley enough I used a wes template xml from for a kms vm I got from someone in another thread and it just worked. just had to add 1 dll "dsound.dll" and vmware 9.0.1 worked and started a vm and to top it off i was testing it all in a vm. lol. But once I had it working and kinda looked at it and gave it a little more thought and figured naaaa.

I have read in another forum somewhere were someone had recomended trying it with fatdog64. I toyed with it for about 30mins then figured I needed more time and never really got around to it. I basically want a esxi platform with a console/host GUI to switch between the guest vm's.

~MC