Install win 10 or not

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Pasta88, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I am currently using win 8.1 pro on my laptop which has a legit key. I am wondering if I could / should update to win 10 pro without waiting for an email from MS? If so, where can I d/l an update copy of win 10 pro or do I need to install it by wiping out 8.1 and install a fresh copy of win 10 pro and using my 8.1 key?

Plz let me know.

thx

2. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    If you wish to have Windows 10 for free and not have problems with activation or having to pay for a key, first you must perform an upgrade (not a fresh install). After you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, you will be automatically activated, and then you can perform as many clean installs as you wish on that system. Your Windows 8.1 key will NOT function if you enter it when installing Windows 10.

Follow from Step 4 (download 32 or 64 bit according to your system but read the whole thing) on: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...red!!!/page2?p=1125007&viewfull=1#post1125007

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. taviruni

taviruni MDL Member

May 8, 2010
    Or brake your privacity as you prefer.

5. shanye

shanye MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2015
    I have disabled them and Windows 10 is not broken for me. Maybe you were unlucky?

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I say install. To get your system activated you would have to upgrade from previous Windows version.

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    What's going to happen when we have windows updates to go towards things you have changed, will updates just not install, get stuck or will there be error msg?:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I say have your cake and eat it too: get Acronis, Paragon, EaseUS, etc. and make an image backup you can restore at any time. 12 hours ago I had three Windows 10 machines. But now, with so many members questioning M$'s intent with W10 and privacy, I knocked two machines back to Windows 7. A good imaging program and you get to do want you want, when you want. That also includes getting a good sleep.

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    you use no 8.1 key for 10 btw, fresh install requires a 10 key, no other key will work. Only option is to go from 8.1 UPGRADE to 10, and then fresh install skipping key, never entering one ever. That is how 10 works now.

privacy, that is your matter and should be left to your decision based on your own findings and beliefs.

10. Carol666

Carol666 MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    My answer is don't bother to much junk in it, it will take hours to clean evening up and it's still buggy

11. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I am sticking with win7 for my computers online.

But i will over time put win 10 on a computer that stays offline, to see if i like it or not.

12. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I remember when Windows 8 came out: XP and Win 7 users screamed in agony. No start button/menu. A Metro UI with live tiles that reminded folks of a 20 year old AOL. The Charms Bar. Plenty to hate. But I just don't recall users complaining about being spied on - all of their activity and files being scanned by IBM's Watson and the NSA. Seems like something is different here. Next thing you know is I'll be prosecuted / persecuted over my headless Barbie Doll collection.

13. fockoff

fockoff MDL Junior Member

Jan 5, 2015
    WINDOWS = Why Is Nadella Dumb On Weekends Son?

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    og,
    Because, at that time, many things were different:
    • No much about NSA at that time! That came shortly later!!
    • None of the 'experienced' members of MDL jumped on Windows Spying!
    • There were a lot of differences to the older OS'es!
    • There were NO Start Menu
    • There were Metro!
    • and, and, and!!

In Windows 10 were most of those older problems solved/changed/eliminated, so there were others things to find to complain about!

And that's the main point: There a lot of members, who NEED to get something to complain about! There're all times nothing for them good enough and even if they didn't find something, they will create something! Objectivity is something what and unknown thing in their life! As well as Freedom of Expression for others, to add! There some members, who's intention is, just to find anything wrong they could jump on! Or asking for help on the board and doing the opposite as suggested! This and many other things what could be used for complaining, abusing, attacking, subjective comments and, and, and, looks like to be the main intention of those people!

15. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    only as a toy. Isnt even worth as game OS.