Install Win10 insider on SD card

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Chrisko, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Chrisko

Chrisko MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2016
    I just signed up for the insider program and was wondering if it's possible to install the insider edition on to a SD card on my Surface 3 pro?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Never tried Win10 itself but win 8 worked w/o any patch, so I assume win10 will behave the same way.

That's
    assuming your bios recognizes your SDcard as bootable. If not, you can use plop

3. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Have never tried this before. I prefer to use Virtual machines.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Chrisko

Chrisko MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2016
    Can I run a virtual machine on my Surface 3? How much HD space do I need?

Thanks,
    Chris

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    The virtual machine scope isn't exactly overlapping, a separate installation is surely better for a real test.

For the record you can dual boot not just from real devices but also from VHDs, which is surely the fastest and safer way to test an alternate windows installation.

Just create a VHD of the right size *say 14/20GB. Apply the WIM to it using dism /apply-image or imagex /apply, ad the VHD installation to the bootloader, reboot on the other OS.

Matter of 10 minutes to install win 10 on SSD, matter of one nanosecond to delete the VHD from your SSD when you don't need it anymore.

No downtime, no slow virtual machines, easy deployment, easy backup, no mess with partitions.

6. Chrisko

Chrisko MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2016
    To be honest I don't know what you said.

VHD virtual Hard Drive??
    What is WIM and dism/apply?

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Well I give the spark you put the fuel, google for them and for the exact syntax. ;)

Anyway, yes wim is the distribution image that you find inside the install media, VHDs are (big) files seen as real HDDs from the OS installed inside them.

8. Chrisko

Chrisko MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2016
    Ok thanks.