install windows 2000 on modern pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by lovestudio, May 13, 2014.

1. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    can anyone try after boot of pc, select dvd to boot and try to install windows 2000 process, not to install, but to see if it works, cos when i do, it selecting all the necessary files like in XP in blue screen, then, when it ends, i get black screen, and nothng happens, just to switch off the computer incorrectly, thoug in bios, i tried to select ide type of sata like for windows xp which works like that to install. can anyone try on any modern computer with 2 or more cores and a model not lower than 2012. thanks, just try and let me know, if you get this screen when you select the partition where to install.:smile3:

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
  3. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    it`s another cause, cos i can`t install that w2000, so what use to have drivers first, nothing.

4. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    You could install & run Windows 2000 on a virtual machine. VMware Player and VirtualBox are free. That would avoid any driver issues. Even if you don't have any experience with them, they install and run well at their default settings, so don't worry about a huge learning curve. If you try it and don't like it, just uninstall. No permanent change to your existing setup.

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    How new a PC are you talking about ?

Would the BIOS settings need to be IDE and not AHCI.

Just a thought.

6. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    If I remember right nLite works on Windows 2000, use this to add your SATA drivers to your Windows 2000 image.

7. eydee

eydee Guest

#7 eydee, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
    This is not about SATA drivers, they're only needed if you are in AHCI or RAID mode. Then it works the same way as under XP, you need to supply the driver from a floppy disk.

To successfully install win2k on a modern computer:

1. Make sure you're not in UEFI mode and your HDDs are using MBR, not GPT.
    2. Splitstream SP4 and SP4 rollup1 into the win2k CD.
    3. Make sure 48-bit LBA is enabled right at boot. You may need to edit the default registry files on the CD. Google it, there are nice tutorials.

Some tips:
    1. Win2k pro only uses 2 cores. Use win2k server to use the full CPU.
    2. The best browsers you can use are IE6 and Firefox12.
    3. If you have an AMD card, which is not very recent, google for "blackwingcat win2k drivers". You might actually make it work with full 3D acceleration! (They need SP4! It surely works up Radeon HD 6k.)
    4. If you have trouble with accessing Windows Update, make sure you install Windows Update Agent 2.0 manually. (Also make sure you have SP4 Rollup1!)
    5. A lot of programs won't work and you won't find drivers for everything. You need to accept this.

However, it's nice doing stuff like this just for the fun, so go ahead.

8. bluebolt

bluebolt MDL Novice

May 18, 2014
    #8 bluebolt, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Bottom line, yes, it is possible to install Windows 2000 Professional on a modern PC. You can even install W2K Pro on cutting-edge hardware, such as Intel’s Series 7 / C216 chipset (i.e. Z77 motherboard with Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU) and Series 8 / C220 chipset (i.e. Z87 motherboard with Haswell CPU), using all four cores, and in AHCI SATA mode.

There are custom W2K Pro HFSLIP installation packages provided by tomasz86, which incorporate extended kernel and extended core functions to increase W2K Pro compatibility with more modern hardware and software. There are AHCI drivers provided by BlackWingCat and Fernando.

You should acquire Intel’s chipset device software v.1.1.54.0 aka v. 9.3.2.1020, the latest one that works with W2K Pro, support for which was subsequently dropped. It is recommended to choose a motherboard with LAN and audio hardware for which W2K Pro drivers are available, such as Realtek. You will probably need a separate graphics card (rather than integrated graphics), either an older card for which W2K Pro drivers are available, or BlackWingCat’s custom GPU drivers for ATI cards (up through the 4000 series) or nvidia cards (even the latest ones).

If you’re intent on using a pure-stock W2K Pro OS, or intent on using the hardware you already have, then other questions, and potential challenges, are raised. Hope this helps, sorry if it’s not what you’re after. Best wishes.

9. matekudasai

matekudasai MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2014
    1. Integrate Onepiece Win2k postSP4 UpdatePack v5.0.3 FINAL
    2. Integrate driverpack.net Lan, Mass storage, CPU and chipset pack just like in Windows XP