Install windows 7 and prevent upgrade to 10

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by agodng, Feb 8, 2016.

1. agodng

agodng MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    Hi guy, I bought a PC alienware that came with Windows 10 and after some time using it now I decided to install win 7 and activate with genuine msdn key.
    The problem is that I want to do a clean install and then not remove various patches that force the installation of Windows 10, is there any way to install windows 7 preventing the future notification and patches of windows 10?

do you think if I install windows 7 after 29 July 2016 the upgrades patches for win 10 should no longer available, right.
    thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #2 abbodi1406, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    start command prompt as administrator and execute these:
    Code:
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx /v DisableGwx /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /v DisableOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade /v AllowOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade /v ReservationsAllowed /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /f /v IncludeRecommendedUpdates /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\AIT" /v AITEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\ClientTelemetry" /v DontRetryOnError /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\ClientTelemetry" /v IsCensusDisabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\ClientTelemetry" /v TaskEnableRun /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags" /v UpgradeEligible /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v OSUpgradePendingReboot /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Volatile" /v OSUpgradeStartTime /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v AutoRebootDelay /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v KickoffDownload /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v KickoffUpgrade /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade\State" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Reporting\EventCache.v2\Legacy\9482f4b4-e343-43b6-b170-9a65bc822c77" /f
    sc.exe config DiagTrack start= disabled
    sc.exe stop DiagTrack
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\launchtrayprocess" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfigandcontent" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxcontent" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\Logon-5d" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\Logon-URT" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\MachineUnlock-5d" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\OutOfIdle-5d" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\OutOfSleep-5d" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\refreshgwxconfig-B" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\ScheduleUpgradeReminderTime" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\ScheduleUpgradeTime" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\Telemetry-4xd" /DISABLE
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\Time-5d" /DISABLE

some command may return error, ignore it

3. agodng

agodng MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    Hi thanks for quick reply, this script must run before or after the post-SP1 updates through windows update?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #4 abbodi1406, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    It' better to be done before & after installing updates.. just in case some settings got reverted

5. agodng

agodng MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    perfect, many thanks :)

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #6 Mr.X, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I've always done this procedure with your scripts and btw I've seen as well you're updating this IMPORTANT script of yours over time (in fact this is a new one and almost missed it. I wasn't even going to check this thread in the first place so I was lucky, I think):

Now, could you put a link on your signature an even open a new thread about this Anti-10 upgrade thing? Please. See, there are lots of tools out there claiming to be the best but, by far, I trust yours much more. Simply facts.

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    I'm too lazy, too incapable for tutorials :D
    but i'll do my best

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #8 Mr.X, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    My friend, I've never talked about tutorials LOL :D
    Just to open a new thread to maintain and update your DisableOSUpgrade script, that's it. Or keep maintained an existing post of yours.
    And add a link to that thread / post in your signature.

Seriously, I almost missed this new script. I did catch it just by mere luck.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You read my mind or what? lol
    I was thinking a few minutes why abbodi doesn't open a thread with all his goodies, called abbodi's goodies. Btw it rhymes lol

10. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Just a quick one for you. Assuming your going to be gaming with a Alienware PC, you do know Windows 7 or 8 will not support Directx 12? It's only available on Windows 10.

If it's going to be just a desktop, no problem but, if your going to be doing hardcore gaming, you should stick with Windows 10...

11. agodng

agodng MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015

Hi, you're right, but Windows 8.1/10 not like, it too invasive and poor with hibrid shell and I can not conceive apps on a desktop

question:
    but if I set windows update for downloading only security patch and I disable the optional update
    windows update will install GWX and telemetry the same? It could be a very simple solution to keep windows 7 cleanly
    thanks

12. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    You're right, it won't (when disabling "recommended" updates).

It is.