Install Windows 7 on an USB stick or External HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dyon, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Dyon

Dyon Guest

#1 Dyon, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. sniegu84

sniegu84 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi,
    I successfully installed WIN 7 x64 on a USB drive with your tutorial. After that I installed SP1 and from that moment Win 7 doesn't want to start.
    After boot window 7 animation I capture each time BSOD.
    Could you tell what to do in this situation? How to save it? Which script with what parameters I have to run?
    I am planning to download WIN 7 x64 with service pack already included and perform installation using your scripts.
    Thank you.

3. vladimir3388

vladimir3388 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2014
    #3 vladimir3388, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Reupload the tool please? It's not available to download anymore. Not feeling like I'm capable to complete the guide without it you know :p

4. vladimir3388

vladimir3388 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2014
    Thanks a lot. I've already tested şimilar guide with some of those tools on 2 computers where it worked perfectly, but it failed on 3rd PC. After that green cmd tool finished its job I rebooted it and blue screen appears instead of windows setup. I'll let you know if the same thing is gonna happen with this guide you sent me, which is probably gonna happen tomorrow, because I'm a bit busy today.

5. vladimir3388

vladimir3388 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2014
    It worked like a charm. The key was in using RMPrepUSB, it wasn't used in first tutorial I followed. Thanks for the link once again! :worthy:

6. Dyon

Dyon Guest

Updated the download URL's

Sorry for breaking the download URL's, I had to move some files in my Mega account around and forgot to update the thread :p.

7. sekyeavan

sekyeavan MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2014
    Can confirm this. Installs perfectly fine until you try to install service pack one, which completely ruins everything. There's no fix, just don't do it. Take the bullet and run it unupdated.

i.imgur.com/F7H0h1J.jpg

8. B Zhan

B Zhan MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2013
    #10 B Zhan, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Try WinToUSB, A simple and efficient application that lets you install and run Windows from an USB drive, using and ISO image or even a CD / DVD.

9. kioku25

kioku25 MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2013
    I ran into the same problem. It seems Dell machines are particularly susceptible to this.

If you are not on a Dell computer you could try the fix outlined on the reboot.pro forum. (I cannot link there directly since I have less than 20 posts, so pm me for the link.)

10. mczar

mczar MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2014
    having problem here, any ideas? when i run command.exe i get a imagex is not a valid win 32 application. and i do not get a list of os to choose from. im trying this off of a iso mounted with migic disk

11. nino

nino MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    WinToUSB does not work with OEM ISOs

12. snehalmasne

snehalmasne MDL Novice

May 15, 2014
    Another simple way to use two operating systems on the same computer

If you want to use two operating systems on the same computer, you have a couple of options. The first is to simply create another partition on the hard drive, while the other is to use an external hard drive. The latter is the easier option and requires only that you change the correct settings to install the second operating system on your external hard drive.