Install Windows 8 Core and Pro RTM from MASD without any key

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by c3po, Aug 19, 2012.

1. c3po

c3po MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Hi, if someone has already posted this trick, please delete this topic. I've searched, but don't find something similar.

First of all, I think there are people here who have tryied to install the RTM from MSDN, but before to begin the setup proces they were asked for a key. If you don't have a key, setup cannot continue. Leaked keys from WZOR are not accepted. So if you want to test Windows 8, the only option is to install the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation Trial.

I compared the content of the Retail ISO from MSDN and the Trial, and I've noticed one thing:

The Eval version seems to have one more file in the source folder. By comparing them file by file, the result is the (in)famous ei.cfg which should be removed in Windows 7 builds to give you full acces to all versions from disc.

The MSDN/TechNet versions don't have it, but the Eval Have it, and the Eval don't ask for a key.

Just by ading an ei.cfg file with the folowing content in the source folder of a Retail MSDN image:

The setup will not ask you anymore about a key, and will give you acces to select wich version you want to install - Core or Pro. The setup will then continue as for Windows 7. At a certain point after install it will ask you for a key but you may skip this step, and you are in.

Please note that [EditionID] should be left blank in order to let you select between the Core and Pro versions.
    Also in the [Channel] field you may use Retail ( as shown ) but also Eval or OEM.

Also, please note that this only let you install those versions, but you will still need to enter a key in order to activate Windows. It's just a workaround, also needed if you want to create an Windows 8 AIO disc.

You will still get a nag screen asking for activation ( some seems to skip this by removing/renaming the slui.exe and slui.exe.mui from Windows.

2. cadcad

cadcad MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Adding the ei.cfg works perfectly.

3. dailyinsanity

dailyinsanity MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Sure does!

4. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Where in the structure of the install files does this ei.cfg go? I am thinking about opening up the iso using Isobuster and putting this file into the iso and than burning the modified iso to a dvd.

5. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
  6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    And so begins the activation cracking fun

7. EricMarsi

EricMarsi MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2012
    #8 EricMarsi, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Zettadox

Zettadox MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Wonderful work! I think this may allow me to make the jump to RTM, quick question though.

1. What are the limitations of using a non-activated copy of Windows 8? (Besides not receiving updates and no customization). I want to install the RTM then buy a key when it comes out, can anyone see any foreseeable problems with this course of action? I do not want to activate my copy with a MAK key or with a non-valid serial either while I wait for M$ to allow key purchases.

TL;DR I want to make sure I will be able to use an inactivated copy of Win8 as my primary OS until M$ is offering legit paid key; if anyone knows where I could purchase a legit Win8 Pro key right now that would be great too!

:worthy:Thank you.:worthy:

9. Zettadox

Zettadox MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Imgburn works perfectly for creating ISO images and burning them, and it's free! ;)

10. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  11. Zettadox

Zettadox MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    I can also confirm this works in Virtualbox. Thanks myhken! I'm am burning this new image to a disk and will install it on my desktop and report back. (99.9% sure it will still be working):worthy:

12. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    I opened up the iso file, en_windows_8_pro_vl_x64_dvd_917699. It already had a ei.cfg file in the Sources folder. However, the file was a little different than the one shown earlier in this post. My file reads: [EditionID]
    Professional
    [Channel]
    Volume
    [VL]

13. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    I looked in the earlier WZT version and it does not have the ei.cfg file in the Sources folder.

14. dede8

dede8 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    #17 dede8, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    I used the "create image file from files/folders" function in ImgBrn:

1/. Extract the Windows 8 MSDN core/pro ISO to a folder using winrar and add the ei.cfg file you created to the 'Sources' directory.
    2/. Mount the same Windows 8 core/pro ISO in Daemon Tools (to be able to extract the Microsoft boot image).
    3/. Launch ImgBrn and select the "create image file from files/folders" button from the program menu.
    4/. Drag all the files and folders previously extracted from the root of the MSDN ISO to ImgBrn 'Sourcre' window.
    5/. Under the 'Advanced' tab on the right select the 'Bootable Disc' tab and check the "Make Image Bootable" box under options.
    6/. Select the Daemon Tools virtual drive letter where you have the MSDN ISO mounted under the 'Extract Boot Image' pulldown and click on the save icon next to it.
    7/. The Microsoft Boot Image File will be saved and accept the ImgBrn prompt to automatically add it to the project file.
    8/. In the 'Destination' window click the explorer icon to select where you want to save the .iso image to and give it a file name.
    9/. Accept the ImgBrn prompt to auto complete the image Volume Name and any other prompt you may receive.
    10/. Wait for ImgBrn to build the image and you now have a working bootable MSDN ISO modded with your ei.cfg :)

15. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    #18 Rock Hunter, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    Now this is interesting. If I right-click on the iso file, and select Open with Windows Explorer, Windows 8 does two things; it opens a window showing all of the folder and files in the iso and it sets up the files as a virtual drive giving it the next available drive letter. It reads like this: DVD Drive (F) HRM_CPRA_X64FREV_EN_US_DV5. I can copy the ei.cfg file and save it to my harddrive. I can edit it. Now let me see if I can put it back into the iso file with isobuster. In order to close the DVD Drive (F), I have to eject it as if it were a DVD.

16. dunkleybwoy

dunkleybwoy MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2012
    I backed up my activation files from the leaked WZT isos. Will these files activate the retail version?

17. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009