Install Windows On 1000 Machinnes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Arman, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Arman

Arman MDL Novice

May 18, 2012
    I have the license for Windows 7 Pro (MAK) and Office 2010 Pro for 1000 machines. I'm trying to find the best solution to make my work easier. I have to install this Windows and Office to whole machines of my organization and of course the model and type of machines are different, some of theme are Desktop and some are Laptop. I want to install some other software beside office.

Should I customize an Image of windows 7 or make a Clone of an installed windows and restore it each time?

What do you recommend to me ?

Thanks in advanced

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Arman

Arman MDL Novice

May 18, 2012
    Unfortunately there is no network. Any other suggestion ?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Find it hard to believe 1000 machines and none are networked anyway, you could install on virtual machine add required software and take image but obviously you need to add image manually to every machine and activate. You do it with an Install.wim image or use 3rd party software like acronis if available.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    1000 Licenses, which seems to be licensed to the same company/organisation/person and no network? Much more than hard to believe, except: the OP didn't know what a network is! Isn't it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I call BS, but on the off chance it's not, network them all first, then follow post 2

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Buy a good pair of comfortable walking shoes right after you create a generic image ... or three.

8. Arman

Arman MDL Novice

May 18, 2012
    It seems like I have to do it manually one bye one. Thank you all

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    No, not really. Posts #2 and #6 have your alternative to one-by-one. But I tell you, if you are having to image 1,000 computers manually one-by-one, and provide support for your efforts, you'll never finish. By the time you get about 1/2 done you'll have a new version of Windows to contend with and may have to start over ... and over, and over, and over ...

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Which ALL is just simply true!:D

11. crazydrve

crazydrve MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    What I do is create a basic image of the best machine possible and then sysprep it. I do many each week at a non profit.

Once sysprep, make an image with ghost, imagex, whatever your choosing. If the sysprep image done right u will only have to do drivers which can be avoided with sysprep.

theitbros site
    sysprep-a-windows-7-machine-start-to-finish-v2
    search the site

then all u have to do is apply image, activate software, update drivers.

A Dell 960 or GX755 is a good standard for capturing when you want a generic image for use with multiple systems. Might require injecting additional drivers for 3rd party brands, HP, etc. Most should work though right out of the box.

Hope that helps.

12. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Right, and then moving physically from machine to machine 1,000 times, install the OS 1,000 times and each time be responsible and provide 1,000 instances of installation support.

This thread probably could be closed.

13. dailyinsanity

dailyinsanity MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    You should consider getting a network (even if it is a local network and get a server (Windows Server 2003 or later) and use KMS activation for if you have no internet, activate the KMS host by phone.) I use Symantec Ghost to image the computers in my house. Install all the drivers for all the computers in your organization into that image, then deploy the image. If you don't want to use Symantec Ghost, there are plenty of Imaging/Disk Cloning Utilities. You do have Mak Keys. So request a KMS Host Key from Microsoft and they should give it to you. KMS is mainly used for Desktop Computers (They require Activation every 180 days). MAK is used mainly on portable devices (Laptops, etc.) because they are activated Permanently because of the MAK Key (Activate Laptops with these because they are more common to lose connection with the server (Traveling, etc.)
    Hope this Helps.

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    See posts #2 and #6.

15. Katchdun

Katchdun MDL Novice

May 24, 2013
    No, you cannot install Windows 7 system on 1000 machines, as I know, it seems that one windows 7 only can install three computer.

16. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Wrong. Amount of installations is subject to negotiation with a Volume License. You can get MAKs with thousands of installations, and the number of machines a KMS can activate is not technically limited at all.

For non-Volume, there is only one seat per license. The 'Family Pack' that's sold for three PCs is actually a special type of Volume license.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The three computers applies for:
    1. Office
    2. Home
    3. Mobile (Laptop)

And it's NOT the installation, it's the activation using the exact same Product Key and applies for Retail Editions.

On how many computers you use the same Media (DVD/ISO/Flash) doesn't matter at all! What matters is the Product Key! In case of Retail, are 3 different computers allowed to get activated with the same key. A MAK Key could be used as often as allowed by the bought amount of Activation. VL Key's used for KMS Activation having no activation limit but, they're limited to the 180 day cycle.

That's just short about how many installation could be done using the same Media: UNLIMITED! Activations are limited as explained above.

18. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Tbh, It shouldn't take too long to install to 1k computers.

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here...

No network = no internet. This is important, because no internet = no viruses. No viruses means no need for security software, very little need for windows updates. It also means that windows will probably need to be activated over the phone, unless you have some kind of MAK.

If the hardware is the same on all machines, great. Make a generic image, update it if you want, install everything you'll ever need, deploy image. 15mins per machine tops, and you only need 4 memory sticks to really get it going at a good speed.

If the hardware is different on all machines, great. Make a generic image, update it if you want, Install everything you'll ever need, add in driver packs from driverpacks.net, deploy image. The drivers will add up to 4gb to the image, and easily double to deployment time. Still only need 5 or 6 usb sticks to install at a very good pace.

All in all, you could probably get round all machines in 2 weeks working 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week. If you need it done pronto, you could do it in a 7 day week working 7am - 9pm with a weekend's worth of preparation time.

19. rasheedl

rasheedl MDL Novice

May 10, 2010
    One approach that I've taken in the past when deploying to PCs in the 1000s where networking wasn't present - is to gather all the hard drives and use a few opened PCs in one room and clone a pre-prepared image as others have suggested. This is especially easy if your PCs have a hard drive 'caddy' that can easily be removed.

This considerably cuts down time. Cloning hard drive to drive is super-fast and any non-technical staff can easily be trained to remove the hard-drives and replace them when done.