Install WinRE on a hidden partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gremo, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Gremo

Gremo MDL Member

Feb 19, 2011
    #1 Gremo, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I'd like to make a WinRE environment to install a custom wim that does not fit on my DVD. My first question is, how to install WinRE in my computer without having Windows in it? I mean, how to create the hidden partition and put the relevant files in it following this * tutorial? Another question is, will WinRE allow me (through the "CompletePC Restore" option) to create a custom partition layout every time i run it? Will I lost the recovery env. option F8 evey time i restore a wim image?

Code:
     diskpart
     select disk 0
     create partition primary size=4090 id=27
     select partition 1
     active
     format fs=ntfs label=Recovery
     exit

then again from WinRE environment i copied D:\sources\boot.wim and D:\boot\boot.sdi into C:\WinRe.wim and C:\boot.sdi respectively (C:\ is the letter assigned to the recovery partition):

Code:
     copy D:\boot\boot.sdi C:\boot.sdi
     copy  D:\sources\boot.wim C:\WinRE.wim

then i removed the letter using diskpart:

Code:
     diskpart
     select volume 1
     remove letter=C
     exit

So, what should I do now? Thanks for helping

* blogs.msdn.com/b/winre/archive/2007/01/12/how-to-install-winre-on-the-hard-disk.aspx

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    If you want to create a recoverypartition, take a look at anarethos recoverytool, it does the job perfectly.

Otherwise you can copy the W7 DVD to a partition and make it bootable or use acronis trueimage to create a recoverypartition.

3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, if you want to install WinRE juste because your WIM file is too bing to fin on a DVD, you may try the following :

- Create an bootable HDD with the content of the (too big) DVD on it to install. Simply format the HDD and make the partition active from Windows 7 and copy the DVD to the root of it
    - Split the WIM file into SWM file. When Windows will see Install.Swm file at the place of the Install.Wim file, it will ask for the next DVD when needed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...