Installation of OEM XP SP3 over old XP SP2?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Zepp, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I have XP SP2 on three machines (and Vista/W7 in a dual boot on another). I easily updated my XP SP2 systems with the downloaded SP3 file available from MS.

Then I tried doing the same for my friend who lives 1500 miles away, using TeamViewer (remote software that lets you reboot the remote and get back on). However, I ran into the dreaded "Beethoven9 music file can't be copied" problem. Googling this revealed it is apparently a permissions problem. I can't remotely reboot her computer into Safe Mode, which is required with XP Home to change permissions, but had her do it, with me on the phone guiding her. Afterwards her file tree appeared just like mine, with the Shared Documents folder, etc.

Still no dice, though. Got the same error when trying to install SP3. (No, no firewall or AV running when attempting, and scanned her computer beforehand, defragged, etc, so it was clean as a new penny with no problems.)

MS.com suggested running a special script and installing a tool, which I did. Same problem.

Now I am wondering, if I just download an OEM XP with SP3 already integrated and have her install it OVER her present installation, will XP keep all her programs, etc?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes, if you chose repair
    And you are either very brave or insane doing SP update via TV...

sebus

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #3 urie, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Hopefully it is not an OEM SLP machine you may overwrite her OEM bios files and screw up her activation surely there must be some one she could ask locally that could install service pack 3.

4. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    @sebus
    I would not do it remotely as I cannot maintain access, but she could reinstall XP by following prompts if I walked her through it over the phone, step by step. It unfortunately appears to be easier -- much easier -- than installing the SP3 pack for her.

@urie
    Nope. She lives on a horse barn in Iowa... neighbors are few and situated acres and acres away, and none are computer savvy. She lives in farm country... Amish nearby. I'll be going there this fall to install Win7 for her, but wanted to update her XP system in the meantime. If not for this stupid Beethoven file nobody wants or needs anyway, it would be done!

5. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    PS To sebus -- thanks for reminding me it's the "repair" option.