Installed Tixati, finally fed up with utorrent

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Jul 5, 2017.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    The latest utorrent installs unwanted apps without asking, and re-installs them after every delete.
    The settings cannot be saved, and NO answers about that can anywhere be had. After having more and more trouble, it was time for a chnage.

So now it is Tixati, so far works fine. Now the details need to be set properly, but I cannot find any help, all the stuff I find is for old versions, the pictures clearly show something other than what I have.

Where can I look?

F.e. how to set unlimuted download speed and things like that?

Thanks. TM

2. rarya.geek

rarya.geek MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2013
    I would suggest to better try qbittorrent
    I've tried nearly every single torrent client available and tested them with different settings and eventually qbittorrent was the one to stay wiith.

PS: One downfall of qbittorrent is it eats a lot much RAM then other clients.

3. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
    What does it install without asking?

4. rarya.geek

rarya.geek MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2013
    Or as an alternative you can still use the portable version of u torrent 2.2 :D

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    THank you, but I am finished with utorrent, Tixati just works fine. I am writing this, because others might run into similar surprises and so the might remember and not waste any time on fixing something that is meant not to be fixed...

Here is, why I did it. For almost two months now any torrent download speed went up and down between maybe 200Kbs and zero, within 10sec… after a few seconds it went up again... just to fall down once more as fast.

I was told 2.2.1, which I have been using for many years no longer really works. So, I finally replaced it with their latest version two weeks ago.

A few days later, I noticed on the left side, that “I” had installed two apps, a mediaplayer and the other one I think was a kind messaging app(?)
    I uninstalled both, but found them re-installed by themselves the next time I started utorrent… and this every time.

I also found that in the “Menubar”, that tells “Name, #, Status, Peers, Seeds, a.s.o.” my preferred setting was changed back to their standard installation. I wanted to find out how to save the setting.

So I went to their website, found NO WAY to ask them per e-mail, and registered at the forum, asked about this, and was never considered worthy of an answer.

So, I deleted this trouble (and probably money?) making software, installed Tixati, which does everything utorrent did, without the insults and a lot of time wasting…. And I am happy again.

The I remembered seeing a similar development at another important software: I wish replacing Firefox was that easy…. ;-)

6. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    dude , I've been using 2.2.1 for years..nothing has EVER been added to my system from them with this version. not one problem with speed either.. utor.png

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @leebo_28: Same here. I don't think my version even came with an installer (IIRC).

They do that sometimes. They'll package an app with toolbars and crap that tries to install itself.
    If you're not paying attention, you find the "Wazoo shopping toolbar" installed. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    You need to read better, what is actually asked......

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yeah I'm still using utorrent 2.2.1. It's small, stable and handles magnets without any hidden adds or apps...
    This has all been covered before...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
  11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  12. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    I'm with Daz, really after I found QBitorrent I'm very happy no issues, no bloatware, and principaly free

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Well, hard to say no to this beautiful client, it's working flawless, fast, unstoppable and it's a lightweight champion, I'm happy. @Daz , thanks for your concern but actually I sandboxed (Sandboxie) µTorrent 2.2.1 portable to protect my machine 100%:

µTorrent 2.2.1.png

15. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
  16. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Been using Tixati for years, the best torrent client for me ;)