Installed W7 and now get the black screen of death - HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by A_D, Oct 11, 2009.

1. A_D

A_D MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    I have a desktop that I was running vista ultimate on, I used partition magic 9 to make another partition (an NTFS partition, should it be FAT32? or does that matter) and then I booted from the Windows 7 install disk and installed in on the new partition. Everything seemed to go just fine. I rebooted the computer after the installation was complete and now I just get a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner. Nothing else. I expected it to ask me which OS to boot from, it didn't. I tried rebooting a couple times in different ways. I've used the Partition boot CD to hide the new partition hoping it would boot from vista so I could try and figure out what I did wrong. So far no luck. I can't get vista to boot or windows 7. I tried using the repair function on the W7 install disk, that didn't work either. I am at a loss at this point. Anyone have any ideas for me? I would really really appreciate it! Thanks.

Update: I tried the steps under section H: repair startup issues. The steps didn't work, I am still not able to load windows. I received two errors, when I typed - /fixboot - it says "The Volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted." then when I go to the next step and type - /RebuildBcd - it says "Total identified Windows installations: 0" Which I find odd because when I used the W7 startup disk it recognized both installations and asked me which I wanted to repair.

Also I tried the Bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force and then restarted. Still nothing but the cursor. Help pls.

Update 2: I also just tried to re-install the W7 on its partition (the same one I tried on before) and I am not sure if this occurred the first time, but after it expanded windows files and installed features it tried to restart, but after the restart it didn't continue with the installation...I am assuming it wasn't completed yet, why wouldn't it resume the installation? My boot sequence was setup for the HD first and CD ROM second, I tried switching and restarting to see if the CD ROM needed to be first, that didn't work either.

2. maxdebesciak

maxdebesciak MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 maxdebesciak, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    check here. it might help.

3. A_D

A_D MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Also...not sure if this matters

I had Vista running 64 bit OS...the W7 install didn't even ask me if I wanted to do a 32 bit or 64 bit...so the more I think about it, I don't think the original attempt at installing worked at all. That aside, any more ideas on what may have gone wrong or how to remedy this situation. I am trying to copy all my files off the other computer right now just in case I have to resort to reformatting or other drastic measures. But I would much rather keep my vista install intact for now. I just don't understand why I am not able to revert to it, how can I tell the computer which place to look at when booting?

Since the install of W7 was on another partition why would that affect my ability to boot to vista? oh and restore system to earlier point etc. don't work either.

4. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    It will never do that with original MS images because there are different ones for 32 and 64 bit.

Only a homebrew multi-architecture image would ask, but i would never use such an image to setup my system unless i made it myself.

(Of course this wont help with your problem...just wanted to point it out.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. A_D

A_D MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Ah yes, of course, I forgot that I had downloaded the 64 bit version...I've been very preoccupied with why the hell my system won't boot back up...thanks for pointing that out though