Installed Win7 as Dual Boot with XP - Now cannot remove XP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TylerDK, Nov 11, 2009.

1. TylerDK

TylerDK MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    I am happy to solely use Windows 7 and therefore I want to format the XP drive for use as storage. However none of the format utilities I have used work, each complaining that it cannot format the Boot drive.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    you will be able to do it; but you must use a proprietary partition software to achieve desired aim. I've used paragon partition manager to good effect more than once; but in case your XP is on the first partition [and presumably it is - if your PC had XP and then you later installed vista or se7en], do the following first.
    Boot into XP, enable show hidden files [tools, folders and from memory the 2nd tab, scroll down and make sure to check the 2 boxes on the lines "show hidden files - {check box}" and "protect hidden system files {unchecked}"
    Exit out, agreeeing if required to pop ups and then go to boot partition {presumably C:\ and where XP is installed. Highlight, then copy all of the "hidden" files that are now visible - well halfway visible and then paste them into the partition where the se7en is installed.
    Reboot, this time in se7en, and just to give yourself an edge, make a backup of the se7en boot files.
    The only way I know how to do that; is to use vista-boot v3.3 [do a google and download and install] and save it somewhere on the se7en partition, and also to a USB drive just to be cautious. Now you should be able to use Paragopn PArtition Manager and finally get rid of XP

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You can delete and format the XP partition without copying any files. After that you have to boot from windows 7 DVD and let it perform a startup repair. This will create new boot files. It has to be run 2 or 3 times, it cannot repair in one step. If you only delete your XP partition without formating it, the startup repair will find both OS and restore your old dual boot configuration. Then you have to do it again. I know what I'm talking about... :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TylerDK

TylerDK MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    #4 TylerDK, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    (OP)
    I cannot currently delete or format the XP drive as it is still labelled "system"

Here is a shot of disk manager so you can see what I mean.

I have tried just temporarily removing the drive that hold the XP data, but the PC will not start, and when trying the startup repair I get the message that says it cannot be repaired.

Attached Files:

5. TylerDK

TylerDK MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Thanks for this, but I am not going to be able to boot to XP, as I already tried simply deleting all the files I could from that drive :eek:

6. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry, I didn't realize that you have two drives. I thought of two partitions on one drive.
    Disconnect your XP drive or disable it in the BIOS, boot from DVD, and try startup repair.

7. TylerDK

TylerDK MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Tried that.

Startup repair does not work for me. :(

8. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    How many times did you try? What's the error message?

9. TylerDK

TylerDK MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    I tried many times. The error was something like "Windows cannot repair, do you want to send error details"

Send or Don't send.

10. TylerDK

TylerDK MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Don't give up on me guys!

Any other ideas?

11. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    there are 2 possibilities.
    1. there is a hidden partition on your XP drive
    2. the bootsect is on your XP drive.

i.e all your Win 7 boot info are on your XP drive.
    check with your admin tools /computer management and see whether your system boot partition with Healthy (system/active primary?) if that is the case

you must swap your harddrive cable then repair with Win 7 dvd may work!
    then reconnect your Xp drive to the othe slot (SATA or IDE) you can then format.

12. TylerDK

TylerDK MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Thanks for the advice.

I have given up and started a different way.

Fresh install of Se7en over the XP install, then format the original Se7en install drive.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    That works, because your dualboot loader will consist then only of bcd (xp uses boot.ini, so that causes some headache when removing dualboot)

But if u just dl EasyBCD 2.0, then remove or format the xp partition, and then in easybcd rebuild the loader for win7 before rebooting, all is well.

Takes about five minutes, and after reboot you'll just have win7. U can go into easybcd again, and see if all settings are correct.

This worked for me when removing xp from dualboot with win7 x86, and setting up new dualboot with win7 x64 and win7 x86.

14. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Yes, be careful. I've had some major issues deleting my Win 7 x86 after I was satisfied with Win 7 x64. The boot sector was included on the former, and I couldn't even boot the latter. Moreover, when using the repair function (by DVD) my x64 installation couldn't be found! After many reboots, many bootsect commands, chkdsk etc. I eventually managed to single boot again. The order of the drives/partitions is important, in many cases, Partition 0 or Disk 0 contains the bootsector information.