Installed Windows 10 on Asus eee 1000H

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ibeqa, Feb 5, 2015.

1. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #1 ibeqa, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    This notebook was eating dust so I decided to experiment a bit with it. Even my children don't wan't it ... it' sloooow they say :p
    Anyway, I installed Technical Preview (upgrade not a clean install) just to see how it handles it. So here's what works and what doesn't:

First - Daemon Tools is not compatible so I had to remove it before continuing with upgrade,
    Second - boot times are lousy ... slow :eek:
    Third - Asus ACPI driver gave me a headache because Win 10 will not allow XP version to be installed (Pop up - Missing Asus ACPI driver will never go away and some functions will not work). Finally I managed to install ACPI driver from eee 1225B (for win 8), which seems to works perfectly with my old 1000H and also managed to install eee_instant_key. Now all functions work.
    Fourth - Generally, it is slow (even with 2Gb Ram) but SetFSB seems to bring some life in it. it is snappier, more responsive.
    Fifth - Reg hack for 1024x768 resolution works perfectly with win 10 and I found it strange that I had to make only one change to registry!
    Sixth - I did not encounter any other problem ... for the moment :clap:

Overall, I am happy with it :worthy:

2. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    good to know i've got one of those too, 1001HA or something.

3. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I use one of those atom powered 2gb machines, mine is a Gateway. I replaced the HD with an SSD. It helps speed it up. Also, I use a USB wifi adapter rather than the internal wifi and I get twice the speed with the adapter. I use this computer when I travel because it is small and light and travels in my backpack/carryon easily.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Sane here, I've got an old Acer Aspire One upgraded to 2GB RAM that came with XP Home, but was running Windows7.
    Installed the TP on it, most of the components were found on install, used Windows7 drivers on the others.
    I don't use any Metro apps so never bothered with the screen res hack, just boot to desktop.
    Can't really say how well it works, as I haven't bothered playing with it. Just wanted to see if it worked. ;)

I also have a Lenovo S10 which like Rock Hunter I use whenever I'm away from home.
    That came with 1GB RAM and Windows7 Starter, but has been updated with 2GB RAM, 120GB SSD an 'AC' WiFi+BT card and a 3G Modem.
    Been running TP on it since the first release, only the WiFi/BT and 3G cards aren't found on install but Windows7/8 drivers work for them.
    Again no Res Hack, just boot to desktop and it runs just as good, if not better than it did running Windows 7. :)

5. sof006

sof006 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2010
    Daemon Tool is compatible.... I'm using it on my copy of Windows 10. You need to update your copy of Daemon Tools by the sounds of things.

6. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Yeah, it could be that. I forgot which version I had but I know that when I started upgrade procedure, a message appeared that Daemon Tools was not compatible.

7. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I also installed it on an acer aspire one AOA150. ZG5 All working fine just had to do the reg hack and find a driver for the card reader.

8. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    So I guess metro apps still won't work on a netbook's resolution, even though they are resizable now? :rolleyes:

9. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    They run if you tweak your registry. To allow higher resolution and then they run on a netbook

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    As pbgbottle says they work when you tweak the resolution settings. But that makes the desktop all distorted.
    You really need to decide whether you'll be using Metro or Desktop apps. As switch back and forth becomes APITA real quick.