Installed Windows 7: Won't Detect Wireless Network Adaptor, Won't Detect sound card

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by davehouse, Dec 9, 2009.

1. davehouse

davehouse MDL Junior Member

Dec 9, 2009
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I go to add new hardware, there is no option to install it from a cd, it just keeps searching for new hardware indefinitely. It won't detect the soundcard but when I double click the volume button in the system tray it diagnoses itself as not having detected my sound card, yet it still won't detect it when I go to add new hardware??

It's like someone is pissing on my face, it's just horrible. Please someone have pity and tell me how to fix this?

2. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #2 HotCarl, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    There is no option for you to open your Device Manager, right-click on the malfunctioning device, click Properties...then go to the "Driver" tab and then click the "Update Driver..." button?

Because from there, in plain Engrish (I typo'ed that on purpose), it says "Browse my computer for driver software"... From there you can browse manually to the folder where your driver resides, select that folder, then let Windows do it's magic.

If you tried that already, try finding a newer driver...perhaps for Vista if you are using a WinXP driver...

EDIT: If you don't know how to get to your Device Manager, click the Start button, then type "device manager" in the Run/Search bar. Click on "Device Manager" when it appears above as a search result. ;)

3. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply. I went into control panel -view devices and printers, and there is no malfunctioning device whose drivers I can update because as far as windows is concerned it doesn't exist.

How can I make my computer 'see' my hardware?

4. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #4 HotCarl, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

You expand the "Sound, Video and Game controllers" or the "Network Adapters" in Device Manager and don't see your devices?

EDIT:
    If that is the case, you can shut down the computer, remove the malfunctioning audio and network cards, turn it back on and boot into Windows (let it boot all the way up), then shutdown Windows again, then put the cards back in, then turn the computer back on again...

What you want to do is start the computer with out those cards inside. If they are integrated, then use the BIOS to turn them off (any decent MoBo is able to do this in the BIOS). When Windows boots up and does not find the cards, that is good. Shut Windows back down and then put the cards back in (or re-enable them in the BIOS) and boot back into Windows. This forces Windows to think you are adding new hardware and hopefully it will find the devices...

Are you sure that they are not in Device Manager at all?

5. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    I was in the wrong place last time, I went into device manager and was able to install my sound card!!! Thanks!!

BUT

It has a device driver installed for my wireless network adaptor that doesn't work, and it won't let me delete this device driver, it says I 'need andministrator permission' even though I AM the administrator? And when I ask it to install the device driver from the cd, it tells me that windows has decided that I already have the most up to date device driver, and that it won't be installing any other device drivers.

Is there anyway I can delete the present device driver so I can install one that works?

6. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    I just noticed the 'uninstall' option on the device driver page! Disregard the last post.

7. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    I am glad you got it figured out. :D

Everything you need to do can be done in the Device Manager...its a good thing to know how to use. Enjoy your new Windows 7, have a good one. :)

8. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    Actually it can't seem to detect my wireless network adaptor at all. I thought the 'microsoft virtual wifi' that showed up under Network adapters must be it but apparantly it's some developmental software microsoft is working on. If my computer just can't see my wireless Network adaptor what can I do? Is it just incompatible with Windows 7 or something?

9. James33

James33 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2008
    It could be, I suggest looking for a updated driver from the site that makes that card, if none is found, then that means it is not supported.......

10. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    What I meant is that it can't find a card at all, never mind look for a device driver for one.

Gah, video playack is choppy too. Can you return OS's or are they unreturnable once you've entered the registration code?

11. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    sound card cuts out after 15 minutes too, after which computer must be restarted.

Jesus this is just horrendous.

12. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    Can someone tell me how to find the video card? When I go into devce manager under ''sound, video and game controllers'' only the sound is listed.

I seriously feel I am going to have a heart attack this is so stressful.

13. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    Ok, so the graphics card is Vgasave, meaning it can't detect the real video card, what the hell can I do about this?

14. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    Found 'unknown' device in the 'other devices' section, turned out to be my video card, just need to crack that wireless adapter now...

15. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    any ideas how I can install wireless network adapter anyone?

16. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    It won't help "me" diagnose your problem but might assist someone more capable than me... give us some details. What kind of system, what type of wireless adapter? The more detail the better.

I'm presuming that everything was working before? What OS, what drivers for the non-working parts, on the previous working OS?

Once you know exactly what hardware you have, visit each device's manufacturer websites and grab latest Win7 drivers (or Vista if they don't have Win7). Make sure to get the right x86 or x64 depending on which version of Win7 you're running.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #17 thedonofdeath, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    help reply

i had a issue with the sound to. just downloaded the realtek ac 97 on download dot com.. well what i would do is download lavalys everest it will tell you everything that is on your computer. or if you have a manuafutre computer go on there website look up your computer and it should tell you everything as well. but everst works good then u just good the drivers and you should be good to go. find out what your wireless is, go on another computer find the driver (download a couple differnt ones) put them on a disc or removable drive (memory stick) and put them on your computer. most drivers need a restart to work so don't freak out if it doesn't come up right away just restart and see what happens.

18. davehouse

Dec 9, 2009
    Thanks for your reply. My problem is that I have/had no idea what any of my drivers/hardware was. I bought the computer second hand with all the basics installed.

Now, having sad that, I've just discoverd a file in my C drive called Windows.(old), which is basically my entire older computer. If I go into my old system32 folder and into the drivers folder, could I just simply copy and paste the old device drivers into my new system32/drivers folder? Or would that just no work because I would have skipped the installation process?

To answer you question, my old OS was XP. I'm gradually getting to grips with this new one though. In the sound section there was an option that switched it off if two sound playing processess were on at once, I unchecked that and the sound is working now, and screen clarity and video playback etc are back to normal after I managed to install the video card.

The problem with the wireless network adaptor is that it cannot detect it at all, so I can't find any device drivers etc for it.

EDIT: Could I open my laptop up, take out the wireless network adapter and see what model it is?

19. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    like i said dude try lavalys everst. it shoud find a wireless card if you have one. im guessing the computer was made by someone (gateway,hp, ect) anyway check there websites. the computer should have a sticker with the serial on it. type that it and you should be golden. but like i said before everst will find it then just download a driver

20. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    If it will not detect your wireless card at all then you may find yourself at Best Buy buying either a USB adapter or a wireless card adapter that you plug into the expansion card slot in the side of your laptop.
    ...or you could use the wired internet connection.

You neglected to mention you had a laptop before...