Installing 7 on new computer with SSD and HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by John Grey, Aug 18, 2013.

1. John Grey

John Grey MDL Junior Member

Apr 12, 2012
    I want to install my Win 7 and my other software from this one on a new computer, which has SSD and HDD.

I am trying to find a guide for that, and cannot find one...

Can someone help, please?

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Just plug them in and boot to install, select the SSD and everything else will be handled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Yep, only make sure automatic defrag is disabled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    Thank You

its a new computer, so I can put the Win7 Disc in, and it will ask me where to install it? And the same with every other software I want to install? The ones I always need, like Firefox, I will be asked if it goes on SSD? While some rarely used Video-converter can be put on the HDD?

"automatic defrag is disabled." The SSD and HDD are empty, so how does that work? Or do you mean after installing Win7?

5. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Make sure you have windows 7 drivers

6. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    Drivers for what?
    I have the Win 7 disc, downloaded from the MDL repository.....?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    For your motherboard, graphics card e.c.t download from manufacturers web site.

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Installed myself all programs on the SSD so far.

For the Defrag: Yep, i mean after installation check whether it´s deactivated by default, Win 7 fails sometimes.

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  10. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    #10 John Grey, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks, but its the same question again: Will their be a window asking me, where I do want to install?
    Or HOW do I choose the SSD for installing some software?????

I do not want to start the installation and then find out I have to stop to ask and wait for a question....

Where do I check if defrag is de-aktivated?
    This means I cannot defrag an SSD?
    What about the HDD?
    On this computer I have been using Defraggler every now and then...

Thanks

11. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  12. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I am not sure what that would be good for other than it is probably the most written to directory there is on a computer. Seeing how SSD have that little problem of failing over time (more so the HDD,) moving it would slow the process.

Amiright?

13. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  14. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    Thank you once more everybody. The computer will arrive tomorrow and I will slowly start installing and moving.
    I shall post once more, when it is all finished and works.......

15. John Grey

Apr 12, 2012
    INstallation so far works fine, but when I try to connect to the internet unlike with previous installations, I get the notice

Windows did not detect any networking hardware

The device manager shows no network adapter, the motherboard is an ASRock B85M. I suppose I am missing some software here?

16. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  17. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Make sure you clicked the link for the specific motherboard that you have. ITX or HDS.

And not everything, but a majority. I would think it would have come with a drivers disk. Honestly, what I would do in your case is install the network drivers and then run Windows Update. After fully updates, I would check the device manager for problems, if none, then that would be it.