Installing a chat / shout box.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Yen, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi,

soon we are enabling a chat / shout box.
    This was requested by a few members.
    Logged in Members with more than 5 posts will be able to chat.

This will be a test period only to determine the right settings. (Auto pruning..etc..)

The MDL team will decide about after the test period if a chat box will remain and if it's useful. It depends on how many members are using it.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dabits

dabits Guest

Great idea :w00t2: on another site+forum the regulars use it a lot, mostly for fun :p and I believe that's what a shoutbox is all about :cool:

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes it should be used to chat / to have fun..to talk about everyday matters.
    For technical questions you still should post at the forums.
    I guess we can start at Sunday...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    No way. That would be awesome. How will you moderate it though?

Take care ;)

5. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010

obviously...
    The technical questions and answars are to help everyone....
    If we ask them by chating, how will they help other???

6. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    Great move Yen,Chat facility attracts much more members to this community..
    and thanks for this great decision.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Actually I don't know. You cannot watch the box all the time. But I will activate auto pruning, so messages will become deleted after a few hours. It should be a live event....store time of each message about 5 hours only. If a moderator should notice about misuse he can ban him from the box.

We have to see how things developing.....and if the box is useful. Also we can think about a chatbox moderator.....
    The MDL rules are also effective for the box, but we probably have to add some more....

8. SAMURAi

SAMURAi MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2010
    great idea mr.yen my unseen god of my life hope u visited my .........

9. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    Good idea,also there should be a report funtion in the chat box,so that anyone can report the MOD if anything found unwanted,hoping for it..

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    There is no report function. It's a 'simple' chat box. Messages get auto pruned after 5 hours.
    Test period will start in a few minutes...there is a message archive and a search function to search messages made the last 5 hours..

@ all

Remember that the forum rules are also valid for the box. Moderators can ban users from the box.
    Be friendly to each other :biggrin::)

11. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    #11 DARKOR04, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
    Hi Yen! this is the coolest idea ever, but haveing problems with chatbox in Opera Browser (the problem is chatbox load well but the rest of the forum its scattered all around), this problem will remain or its just temporaly, hope this problem resolves son hehe, couse my Internet conection its slow in my area and IE takes ages to load pages and with opera pages load in a 5 to 6 seconds with my slow connection..... :(

Yen problem solve, never mind hehe ;)

12. Tyler8746

Tyler8746 MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2010
    this will be pretty godd since now i can commmunicate better with others

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You need 5 posts therefore. But please no spam.