Installing a legitament Win 7 if you have a loader based RTM on another HD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by regal, Feb 12, 2010.

1. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    With WAT coming I'm out of the loader game, Ultimate version just isn't worth it. I purchased the $29.95 iriver home premium upgrade from iriver a while back and want to switch. Will I have to format or remove my loader based Win7 harddrive in order to install the legiit copy of Win 7 on a different harddrive in order for WAT to not identify the loader?

2. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Well, I think it is humorous how MS release WAT and all the babies go running. I mean, Hazar and Daz are on red alert to destroy it as it is released public. Hazar even has a vaccine prepared.

Anyhow, I recommend a nice fresh reinstall.

3. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    MESA not worried :) Hazar and Daz got our backs <3

4. The Progen

The Progen MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    Best to just format and do a clean install since you'll be getting rid of all the junk you don't need anymore. at the same time.

On a related note, I could be wrong on this so go easy on me if I am, but I don't think WAT will give you any problems if you've booted up with the one you paid for since there're no loaders or similar resident in your memory.

5. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    #5 regal, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    (OP)
    I get no benefit from the ultimate version, the XP virtual machine is worthless to me, I boot to my XP HD when I need XP, so it just isn't worth all the hacks and trouble to keep Ultimate when I have a $30Home Premium

6. matrixcs

matrixcs MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2010
    nah im not worried too.. ;) i trust daz and hazar

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I don't think M$ will attack loaders - at least not until the number of XP machines still used by Business decreases to almost 0.

Imagine if they destroy legitimate OEM activations accidentally - Goodbye 7 as the business OS of choice.

Mind you I'm amazed people aren't totally P'd off with them already - A community centre I help at with 3 legitimate XP licenced machines have had their computers shut down by WGA - they are totally legitimate - actually part of M$ Charity support where they provided the software.

WGA has been around for years and yet it still manages to stuff up legal machines.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    What even funnier is it hasn't been officially released yet.

Businesses are encouraged to use KMS for activation. Accidentally flagging SLP activations would piss off end users. Lots of end users, as most purchase pre-installed OEM:SLP machines. End users are the people who made Vista flop.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    you dont haveKMS with xp

10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #10 Rosco, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    Lots of businesses buy OEM machines - either in bulk or one or two and have no idea about the different types of activation - they simply want the reseller to connect it to their network and get on with it.

BUT - this update isn't only about activation - even if it misses workarounds for now - or even worse, YOU ARE LEGAL- it is forever on your system spying on you and as I said M$ activation or legitimacy checking is prone to many mistakes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...