Installing and activating windows 7 onto a dell dimension 9100 - what will I need?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by orangejuicejones, Sep 22, 2011.

1. orangejuicejones

orangejuicejones MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2011
    Hi everyone, I'm looking to install windows 7 onto my computer, after six years of using XP. I've been reading several of the threads posted here and already downloaded a clean iso of windows 7 ultimate sp1 media refresh from digital river, in addition to backing up several important files in advance. But now I need to know what to do next.

I'm already aware that several dell models, mine included, tend not to play nicely with loader programs, on account of not having the correct slic tables in their bioses. So far, I've been reading up on how I might have to flash the bios with a modded version in order to get the loaders to work, but searching through these forums for stuff related to my model only brings up posts from 2009-2010 - I'm wondering if things have changed since then, and if current loaders can work on my pc now, without any extra hassle

So yeah, just a little bit confused and in need of some help before I go about installing windows 7. What will I need to do to get it activated and running properly?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    You need slic 2.1 integrated in your bios. (search for the bios in the bios section)

If there is no bios 2.1 then go to "bios mod request" and post a request.

1. flash

2. Folow "The Official Windows 7 Repository" F.a and F.b sections.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes you do have to flash the BIOS of a system that does not have SLIC 2.1..I just did a co-workers Dell XPS 410. Daz loader wouldn't work because it had a 2.0 BIOS. I had to search the net for a BIOS Mod I guess ya call it for the loader to work.

4. thomas13203

thomas13203 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2011
    daz loader will work on these older dells. I had a dell c640 windows 2000 was the factory install on it but i put windows 7 on it and it activated fine using daz loader. the only problem was lack of drivers for the integrated graphics card. no hardware exceleration or areo possible. tried using the xp drivers and something that was listed as a vista driver but they didnt work well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. thomas13203

thomas13203 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2011
    #5 thomas13203, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    that is not true. i activated a dell c620 which was so old it was factory installed with windows 2000 and daz loader activated it perfectly. the only problem was no working drivers for the integrated graphics card so no hardware acceleration and no areo

6. thomas13203

thomas13203 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2011
    daz loader will work on these older dells. I had a dell c640 windows 2000 was the factory install on it but i put windows 7 on it and it activated fine using daz loader. no flashed bios wouldnt even know how to flash a bios if i wanted to. the only problem was lack of drivers for the integrated graphics card. no hardware exceleration or areo possible. tried using the xp drivers and something that was listed as a vista driver but they didnt work well.

7. thomas13203

thomas13203 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2011
    not true daz loader will work on these older dells. I had a dell c640 windows 2000 was the factory install on it but i put windows 7 on it and it activated fine using daz loader. the only problem was lack of drivers for the integrated graphics card. no hardware exceleration or areo possible. tried using the xp drivers and something that was listed as a vista driver but they didnt work well.

8. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    The Daz loader is working with SLIC v2.1 emulation via boot sector, NOT FLASH or CHANGE ANY HARDWARE parts, NOT modify ANY the software

Depends to the hardware to write SLIC on the memory, via auto-profile selection, it flawless work on all machines, With/WithOUT SLIC v2.1 ;)

9. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    #9 BobSheep, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    Actually there is no emulation at all. At boot time the BIOS writes to memory a selection of ACPI tables, 1 of which is a SLIC (which by the way is not a genuine ACPI table type). These tables are usually in RAM and can be located by following a set of table pointers. The loader locates these tables and adds or replaces a SLIC, sometimes it will delete the SLIC and create a new one because BIOS writers have tried to find ways to trash SLICs for non OEM BIOS's (short SLICs, memory will get trashed). e.g. They write one common BIOS but for non OEM boards they add code to overwrite part of the SLIC. If the loader replaced that SLIC it would also get trashed. For those clever people out there who'll say but the BIOS has done it's job already there's the DSDT and the AML which is encoded in it. It will probably have a memory location which is within the SLIC so it gets trashed through normal computer use. In this case the loader cannot know the SLIC will be trashed so a manual setting must be made.

So in the end there's no difference between an OEM BIOS, a modded BIOS or a loader modified set of ACPI tables.

The loader would normally replace a 2.0 SLIC with a 2.1 version so I'd guess this is one of those cases where a manual setting of ignore existing SLIC should be used to avoid using the memory that will get trashed.

10. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Then why did it not work on this Dell XPS 410? I even tried what Daz says to select in advanced disable type 3 and 4 memory and to select use legacy mode? None of them worked. In fact it locked me out and each time I had to do the DOS window bootsect.exe fix to get back in each try.I had to find online someone with same problem and they had a download with a modified BIOS that made it say SLIC 2.1. It then worked? Thanks.

11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If it's BIOS really is 2.0 then it will update it just fine unless it's in ROM. If it's in ROM then switching the memory type won't make any difference until you select to ignore the existing SLIC.

The next version of the loader should automatically better handle SLIC's that are in ROM.

12. uffbros

Aug 9, 2010
    Thank you for your quick response.

13. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I stopped using loaders long ago for my personal machines. I still advise the less experienced to use them. Flashing a Bios is not for everyone. I've recommended the Daz loader and it works fine. As do many others. Do your homework and all should be good.