Installing cloned image to new SSD.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jetjock, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I have an OCZ 128GB SSD now with Windows 7 installed. Also have a HDD with Windows 7 using a dual boot setup. HDD is used mainly for storage and programs like email & Agent that do a lot of write/erase operations.I am getting a new 256GB SSD to replace the 128GB, and want to just copy my backup image (Acronis Home) to it. Acronis has the option of just hitting F-11 during boot to open up it's recovery program that allows restoring a whole disk.

My question is: can I just remove the old SSD, install the new one, boot to Acronis and restore the backup image to the new drive? Boot sequence is set to 1.SSD 2.HDD now, so if I do this, will computer just pick up the new drive as if it were the old one with the same boot sequence options?

Any suggestions welcome.

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Can you not just Clone the drive with Acronis.

3. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes, seems like thats one way to do it, the other one as suggested by urie is to clone disks directly off the Acronis rescue disk.

4. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #4 jetjock, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    (OP)
    I think you all are misunderstanding me. I already have my old OCZ drive backed up on an external drive. I intend to just remove the OCZ drive and replace it with the new Samsung drive, boot into either F-11 Acronis recovery feature or to an Acronis boot disk, and restore the backup onto the new Samsung SSD. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew if this would work, or would it be a problem with partitions, Windows or other programs? I have had to restore several times onto my OCZ drive after crashes with absolutely no problems, but I'm not sure about doing it a new, larger SSD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes it should work but I doubt if you can use the Acronis F11 that will probably have been on the ssd drive so you will need to boot from Acronis recovery media. But I still don't know why you don't want to use Acronis to clone the drive that is the best way.

6. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #6 jetjock, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    (OP)
    To tell you the truth, I had never even considered that Acronis had a cloning option. All I've ever used it for is backing up my drive daily and restoring after crashes. That is why I did not quite follow your original suggestion about cloning. I was thinking that "restoring" = "cloning" :eek:

That said, can I just unplug my HDD (G: currently) and replace it with the new SSD, clone the old SSD (C: currently) to the new SSD, replace the old SSD with the new one, plug my HDD back in and be back to my current operational status?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes that is exactly the way to do it :)

8. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Guess I finally got something right anyway!! :biggrin: Many thanks for the help. Now all I need is for the new drive to get here.