Installing from .wim files directly using imagex.exe

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by fafhrd, Jul 9, 2011.

1. fafhrd

fafhrd MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #1 fafhrd, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2009
    This only works if the WIM file is a capture of a (sysprepped) system. For original MS WIM files, this won't work, as Setup is also responsible for configuring the licensing settings. Merely applying an original MS WIM with imagex will probably give you a "This copy of Windows is corrupted, you must reinstall" error message.

3. Polmo

Polmo MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2011
    #3 Polmo, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Better is:

Code:
    bcdboot x:\windows /l de-DE /s x:
    where l/ stands for language...

4. fafhrd

fafhrd MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #4 fafhrd, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    (OP)
    Not sure what you mean by "original MS WIM files"?

Install.wim images from the sources folder from commercial windows install media including evaluation versions and recovery partitions work fine - the most that needs to be done is applying OEM Drivers. To add applications and reimage without sysprepping seems to be fine if the image is applied back to the same machine. It should need sysprepping to apply to a different PC, agreed.

Licensing only comes into the equation when you decide to activate - by whatever means you choose. OOBE and EULA are both contained within the WIM anyway, and the OOBE always runs towards the end of the graphical setup. (which can be sidestepped with shift F10 and logging on as administrator, and ending the OOBE and First run UX - useful for getting rid of evaluation watermarks on trial installations.

Works with every wim I have tried so far, including cloned images applied to different partitions of the same machine. The install.wim from 6.2.7989.0.amd64fre.winmain.110421-1825.iso\sources for windows 8 applied and installed without a hitch, no error messages. It was happy to believe it was running on a Hewlett Packard Business notebook (in reality an ACER Aspire) It might have complained if the processor was Intel, not AMD, I don't know.

Setup.exe itself is responsible for supplying the error messages. If setup.exe is bypassed those messages cannot be invoked.

I believe GimageX is a graphical interface for Imagex, nothing more. As Canouna says, it works perfectly.

@ Polmo - Forgive me for my Anglocentric Viewpoint, and forgetting that there are speakers of other languages out there.

5. TheLongHCM

TheLongHCM MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    i have the same error

6. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2009
    Well, I actually read this in official MS documentations - it may be wrong, or merely and undocumented feature. But according to MS, install.wim images contained in original install media (that is, images that have not been made by capturing an existing Windows installation) must always be installed via setup.exe - otherwise, they will immediately enter reduced-functionality mode, and deny any attempts to activate them.

7. Elmer BeFuddled

Elmer BeFuddled MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2010
    #7 Elmer BeFuddled, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    I know this is reviving an old thread but I've just come across this.

A big THANKS to the op and the other contributors. I've always known that (G)ImageX was more than just a label changer but I'd never came across a definitive guide on how to use it.

Seems I've been wasting my time using virtual machines to create my ideal set up disc (sharing ram between host and guest etc.) when all along I just needed to load a install.wim onto the VBox partition, add the boot files and dual boot the PC!!

Slightly off topic. I use iReboot (from EasyBCD) when dual booting. Never see the boot option screen again!

ADMIN!!! I keep getting redirected from MDL to a site called surfcounter.net. Is this my end or yours? Its the only site it happens on, and has only started this am.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I cannot reproduce the issue, I am sorry. It should happen to some other users as well if it is at our end...don't want to appear as smarta$$ but you say it has started this am and you say it only happens on MDL, tested any other sites already this morning??? :biggrin: :hug2:

I'll keep an eye on this, we have not changed anything concerning ads. All ads should be disabled when logged in.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #9 Atari800XL, Aug 23, 2013
    I experience this as well. Every page redirects to mypageresults.com (only a correctly timed "escape" will keep me on the page). Tested other sites as well, only MDL seems affected. Will try different browsers/ OS's next...
    EDIT: Seems to be browser-specific... No problems on Windows 8.1/IE11
    EDIT2: And now (2 hours later) it seems to be fixed...

10. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012
    I dont get what the advantage of this would be? Why not just make a custom install ISO with all your apps, drivers, programs and settings preinstalled? Just add them to the install ISO and those few things that wont install simply just make some .bat files in notepad to install them.

The above is what i do anyway, or i just ghost the HDD after everything is setup and then when a reinstall is needed i just format HDD / restore that backup.

Can you not just boot a linux live CD and then extract the .WIM to a fresh formatted HDD. Then go into windows recovery launch admin CMD and do bootrec.exe /fixmbr ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The issue had been resolved. Thanks to Elmer. It is a ad plugin who causes issues, I have simply disabled it.

You were right all the time, it doesn't affect any country though, depends on routing way to MDL.

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    is it only me or did this plugin affect response time of the site? Now I feel like it loads faster than the other days before

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Ads should actually be disabled when logged in. Only unregistered visitors should received ads. The response is of course slower since it has to load all the ads from their servers...
    This plugin probably screwed some things already in the past. I guess it simply needs an update. But that is the job of the owner....he uses those ads to pay the server rent and licenses--- and let MDL run for us for free. :)

14. Elmer BeFuddled

Jun 11, 2010
    #14 Elmer BeFuddled, Aug 23, 2013
    Yes, Atari800XL has given the correct redirect page as mypageresults.com.

Other sites weren't affected. I did scan and nothing was found but since then it has stopped. Go figure!!

BTW using Pale Moon v 20.2 (FF derivative).

EDIT!! Should've hit the second page button before posting!! :eek:

15. Elmer BeFuddled

Jun 11, 2010
    For me its the speed. I grabbed my install and boot wim files and I had a running 'test' system in under 7 minutes. When all is done I will be (initially) loading the system via the conventional USB method.

16. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    You are wrong
    from Windows 7, i always re-install my OS this way (applying wim), never had any problem nor error.

17. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
  18. seanay00

seanay00 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    hi there,
    new to the forums. I have a samsung NP355E5C-A01AU laptop and i have recently done a HDD swap as the original HDD was a very slow hitachi. I cloned all the recovery partitions using Acronis Disk Director 11 and now it wont boot from the recovery partition at all. It is windows 8 and every file is there including drivers but no joy. Samsung also say that they have a recovery program built into the bios by pressing F4 but that doesnt work either. Any tips guys?? its making me very frustrated.

19. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There are some posts here about making recovery partitions... I'd guess that if you have an image saved, you could mix a bit of the knowledge and restore your hard drive. I'm barely learning about the various things regarding these push-button reset images.

20. seanay00

seanay00 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    I can sort of get the drive to boot but it gives me this error 'MBR error 1' is there a fix for this?? from what ive read its a acronis thing when it clones.