Installing Live Win7 PE permanently onto HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mythtron, Jul 2, 2013.

1. mythtron

mythtron MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2012
    There's a neat live Windows 7 PE known as "Mini 7" that comes with the latest Hiren's Boot CD (15.2, Restored 1.1). It's perfect as an everyday OS for a dated PC.

Is there any way for me to install the live Windows 7 environment onto my HDD as a permanent installation?

It should reside on and boot from my HDD. It shouldn't need to create a temporary RamDrive and thus be wiped cleaned after a shutdown/restart. Instead, it should use the system drive (e.g. C:) as a regular Windows 7 installation would.

Hiren's sets up the live environment from the following folder within the Hiren's disc:

CD:\HBCD\7\ ​

And the folder contains:
    • 7 16 KB
    • 7.BIN 377 KB
    • 7.wim 298,235 KB
    • 7Customize.cmd 2 KB
    • 7D 300 KB
    • pins.cfg 1 KB

I was thinking it may be possible using the application 'WinNTSetup v2.3.1' and directing it to the 7.wim file (which should be analogous to the install.wim file on a regular Windows 7 installation disc). But I am unsure about running other scripts (many of which are in the 7.wim file) that may be required to customize the Mini7 install as Hiren's does at boot time.

Thanks for your time

2. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    I was wondering about this also

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011