Installing Office 2013 will void my warranty?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by elementinsane, Feb 19, 2013.

1. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Hey all..

I just got a HP b026in AIO. It is just freaking awesome!! HUGE 23" SCREEN!!

Anyways, I wanted to install the Office 2013 suite as I am a writer by profession. I wanted to know if I install the Office suite will it void the Windows 8 warranty. HP is very strict when it comes to warranties. I can't even partition my OWN COMPUTER's disk without HP's permission.

I have the copy of Office 2013 at home. I also know how to activate it. Just wanted to know if my Windows 8 will be inactive.

Thanks!

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    What activation files did you copy?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I copied the tokens and the entire 'spp' folder.

4. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    #4 BigW, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    Are the consumer rights that low in America?

Do you own your HP-thing or are you allowed to use it by HP? To partition your own PC seems to be a normal task on how to use your own PC I think. That's like you buy a car and then if you put a sticker on the back the waranty get's voided. In Europe they would get cruisified by consumer rights groups in courts for such a term and a very bad press on top. At least here they have to fulfill the liability for defects by law (warranty is here in Europe a term used for a voluntary exceeding of liability for defects) which states that in the first 6 month they have to prove that the hardware had no faults at delivery, which is very hard to prove by them. After the 6 month to 2 years the consumer has to proof that the hardware was faulty. If the consumer treads the hardware the right way and do normal task with it the manufactures can't refuse to give the minimum requirements for the liability for defects. Every part in a PC has it own liability for defects from his manufacturer and to open a normal PC doesn't void any liability for defects here in Europe.

By the way, did you know that HP uses the cheapest of the cheapest of things in there devices? Ask any indipendent IT-Supporter and he will tell you about all the things that happen regullary with HP-Pc and -Notebooks. And what about all the peoples which indured warranty-repairs which took up to 6 weeks and needed to be repeatet several times to not repair anything. I had first hand expirience as dealer in IT. The most value of a HP-Thing is the HP-Logo and the value it has been standing for in the far past.

5. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I know man. But the specs were too good to resist. Plus I am an average user and won't knowingly do any harm. The incidence I wrote scared me to death. It was just the FIRST day and it already said "Windows isn't activated." The damn thing has 3 years warranty. So I want to do as little to void the warranty as possible. Hence this thread.

I think I will have to reactivate the Office 2013 again. Tedious process I tell you..and I am not tampering with the Windows folder anymore.

But yesterday, when I tried to copy my activation files back, why did it say "Windows isn't activated" ? Strange. And scary.

6. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I know what you are saying. But honestly, I loved the hardware. i5, 23" and 1GB Nvidia card. Very rare and very hard to get for this price. I know Lenovo is the best when it comes to hardware. But it was waayyyy over budget.

7. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    UPDATE:

I installed Office 2013. Had to reactivate it. Didn't dare go to Windows/C Drive to paste anything...