Installing Over existing Windows 7 RC1?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by toe471, Dec 13, 2011.

1. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    I tried before installing a new copy over the previous version of W7 but as I was to accept the agreements bit and it said there was not alot of space left on the drive so could not install???

I have a 2TB HD and I have partitioned out 17gb to W7 only and the rest to files of my own, I want to do it this way as last time I installed a complete fresh to the 17gb it just formated to whole lot instead?! :mad:

So whats confused me is the fact that its saying I have no space but it is suppose to delete the system files anyway, What would I be best doing and easiest to get around this guys??:rolleyes:

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    win7 likes to keep old OS files, and you prolly put of space in that 17GB partition. Format that 17GB partition and make sure you select it as where you want the new win7 to install.You will be good Toe

3. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    I rememebr last time the first of which I set up the partitions I had used the 17gb for W7 and rest data and files but when I come to formatt the 7gb it somehow wiped the whole drive instead but left the partitions vacant?? thats why its bothering me a little here as I have a lot of music content and films backed up from a external HD.

problems problems!!!! we love em!!o_O

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Best thing you can always do is give your partition names do not go by drive letters then you will know what partition or drive you are formating, also 17 GB is rather small for a windows 7 partition fair enough if you are not installing games e.c.t and storing your music, movies on other partitions.