Installing Retail Games WITHOUT Steam.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sauntache, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Sauntache

Sauntache MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    I like to buy boxed retail versions of my games.

I bought boxed retail versions of Metro 2033 and F.E.A.R 2, but ither try to force me to install Steam. Why, when I have the physical disk?

There must be some workaround to install normally.

If I need to be connecting to the internet and downloading the whole game even when I have the disk, why should I bother paying for a game at all?

2. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

My thoughts exactly, It was the same for me with Fallout New Vegas, sadly a game I don't play anymore.

I hate when you buy the actual physical disc and is being forced to use Steam and internet for installation and usage of the game.
    My rig is basically offline 100% of the time for the reason that I HATE internet.

They can't expect everyone to have access to internet, highspeed internet that is which is required for basically anything you do today.

And YES I know you can run Steam in offline mode, which still sucks.

I won't buy any new PC game ever again.

3. smodtactical

smodtactical MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2010
    Unfortunately no you can't bypass this. These games use steamworks which means the steam tools and integration is built into the game and is required for install.

4. WhiteZero

WhiteZero MDL Junior Member

Nov 29, 2009
    The box always says if it requires Steam or not. So it's your choice at purchase.
    THB, eventually every game will probably digital distribution, so it's something you might as well get use to.

Resistance is futile.

5. stevemk14ebr

stevemk14ebr MDL Senior Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Resistance is futile.[/QUOTE]
    agree completely

6. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I'm completely fine with that, give's me more money over for saving.
    I'll just replay everything I've got and skip the digital distribution all together and continue on living in the past with my oldies.

7. WeeJeWel

WeeJeWel MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2010
    Can't you use the serial with a downloaded copy?