Installing server and 8.1 on same machine

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ccc1522, May 28, 2014.

1. ccc1522

ccc1522 MDL Junior Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I would like to run a server on my main machine for data and to support programs that are meant to be on a server. Other computers (workstations) in my local network would use the server. I would have several HDDs available for the server.

Then I would also like to use the same computer for my daily work (as a workstation). This would be on a separate Hdd that would only have what is needed for the windows OS.(trying to keep my speed up)

Can this be done?
    What server OS should I use? (Server 2012R2, SQL 2012, SQL 2014, etc.)

The programs I currently use, installed SQL 2012 & SQL 2008 on my machine. If I put them on a server, then it should keep my Windows 8.1.1 OS cleaner. Right now, all computers on the local network link to my main computer.

I am basically trying to keep my computer that I use daily from getting filled with a lot of junk and slowing it down (and I'm to cheap to buy another machine):)

2. odiea

odiea MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If you have enough memory I would suggest using Vmware player or another virtual machine for your Win 8.1 usage.

3. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    If your going to be using a version of SVR2012R2 you could install it first, then add the Hyper-V feature and install Windows 8.1 in a VM. Similar to what odiea has suggested.
    Or if the version of Server your using doesn't have the Hyper-V option, you could install the Free Hyper-V server on your PC and then your Server version and Windows 8.1 as VM's. This approach will give you more control over which VM has priority over CPU cores and RAM.

4. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #4 tonto11, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    As a test for the past year
    I have a partitioned 500g drive.
    with Win8 in one partition
    and WS 2012 Datacenter in another with workstation patches
    using Win boot manager to select access
    no virtual machines since I don't run them at the same time

Works like a charm

...T

5. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    There are two mains ways you can do this:

1. VMware workstation
    2. VMware ESXi

With vmware workstation you can install either the server os or desktop os in the virtual environment. The main problem I see for this, is that Vmware workstation will need to be installed along side the OS that you choose; and if you choose server os as your base OS, you'll need to be logged in all the time otherwise VMs can be powered off.

VMware ESXi on the other hand installs directly on the machine and you can designate computer resources to individual machine to maximize the computers potential. You can plug up drives directly to different virtual machines, you wont need to install vmware workstation on top of the OS that you use

6. ccc1522

Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks to everyone for the advice.
    I am wanting to do what tonto11 has done, except I would like to be able to run them both at the same time and I will just use different drives instead of partitioning a single drive.

Maybe that is what cocachris89 (and ZaForD) is talking about when using VWware EXi ? I will have to learn some about it. I want to maximize my resources of the computer. I have 8G ram and a core 2 dual processor.

7. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #7 tonto11, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    In that case you've got to put one of them on a virtual machine. (VMware for example)
    I would set up WS2012 first, then add the VM in a separate partition or hdd , then add the W8 under that

We did a lot of that during the development of KMS for Win8,
    There's a great big archival thread on that started Nov 3 2012 by our friend S1ave77 (link 2 below)
    very interesting read.

...T

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    If you want to run both operating systems at the same time, then at least one of them needs to be a Virtual Machine (VM).

Personally I'd go with what tonto11 says above, except for using Hyper-V instead of VMWare.
    Reasons: 1. its built-in to Windows Server and Windows 8 x64 (so its basically Free) 2. I have more experience with it.

Two other options for you to consider:
    1. If you will be doing Video intensive stuff on this PC at any time. You may be better off using Windows 8 as the Host and Server as the Guest. That way you'll bypass most of the video limitations that you get when using VM's.

2. If you want better control over which operating system has access to most of the PC's resources at any time. i.e. CPU Cores / RAM. Install a 'Hypervisor' on the PC and run both Server and Windows 8 in VM's. I think of it as a sort of volume control, as it allows me to 'Turn Up' the VM i'm using at the time.

Again I'd go for Hyper-V Server 2012 'Hypervisor' (which is Free) (anyone seeing a pattern here ;)) but lots of other guys on here love VMware ESXi. So there should be plenty of help around for which ever one you choose. Just checkout the Virtualization section of the forum :)

9. ccc1522

Dec 27, 2010
    @ ZaForD
    If I install Hyper-V Server 2012 will I have video limitations? I do some cad work and sometimes it (the computer) struggles when rendering. I want to limit that if I can.

I downloaded WS2012 R2 and was going to use it (based on Tonto11's advice), but now I'm thinking I should install Hyper-V Server 2012. Or does Hyper-V Server 2012 get installed with Server 2012 R2 (as an add-in)?

I am continuing to read the other threads on virtualization and the one from Slave77 recommended by Tonto11. There's a lot to understand & I hope I don't get in over my head!! :confused:

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The short answer is yes.

But from what I know of CAD stuff, its not that GFX intensive. Isn't it the RAM and CPU that takes a kicking? In which case the rendering may take abit longer, but you should be OK. But, Its probably a good idea to ask on the Virtualization section for a real answer. o_O

Its usually Games and Videos that rely heavily on the GFX card that suffer when run in VM's

In theory it doesn't matter, Hyper-V Server 2012 is a 'Hypervisor' which is installed on the PC and sits between the Hardware and whatever Operating Systems you install.

The Hyper-V feature (add-in) installs the same 'Hypervisor' which again is installed between the Hardware and Operating System. Hence the reboots when installing.

The difference is Hyper-V Server is controlled from the CMD Line or a GUI installed on another PC or VM. Which can be a pain to setup and run.

The Hyper-V feature installs the GUI on the PC at the same time, so its easier to Administrate.
    But, although the Host Operating System is now running as a VM on the 'Hypervisor' you don't have direct control over what resources it uses, like you do with the other VM's. It will use the resources NOT being used by your running VM's. Which maybe a good thing for your CAD work.

LOL. I've spent most of the last decade in over my head on this stuff. On this and previous forums. :eek:
    But as long as your trying to learn something the guys here in the Server and Virtualization sections will help you every step of the way. :)

11. ccc1522

Dec 27, 2010
    Update;
    I have succeeded in getting everything set up and activated (thanks to all for advice). The more I dig into this server & virtualization stuff, the more questions I have.

Like;
    Why couldn't I just run my autocad from the server OS (maybe that would prevent any performance limitations that might occur using a VM)?

Where should I install the programs that I use daily (Acrobat, Office, Photoshop, Etc.), server or the virtual machine? some programs are setup to be installed on a server environment, i.e. QuickBooks Enterprise)

If I can just run them from the server, then why do I need a vm?

Maybe I should virtualize everything, then make the other computers in the office thin clients/workstations (since the are very old and don't have much storage)?

As you can tell, I have many options running thru my mind and I really don't know much about any of them!!! Yes, I'm still :confused:

It is still fun doing this stuff!! :)

12. ccc1522

Dec 27, 2010
    I have the virtual machine running, but my memory usage is running at 80% (3.2Gb out of 4Gb allocated (I did check the dynamic memory tab though)) all the time.

Should I have installed type 1 Hyper-V instead of type 2 Hyper-V? I have read that type 1 will run faster because it doesn't run on top of the Server OS, it runs along side server OS?

Also I can't get my sound to work on the virtual machine. I have disabled it on the Server, so it should be available for the virtual machine. Any ideas?

13. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey ccc1522,

If you anything like me you'll always have more questions than answers on stuff like this.
    Its one of the reasons I keep playing with VM's. I'd hate to think what I'd do if I found the answers :biggrin:

My daily use PC is a VM using 'passthrough' to a real HDD which works fine for me, but I don't use any 'Heavy' programs. In fact most of the time I use it via RDC from work or a Tablet.

I also get alittle 'stick' from the guys here 'cos I only use Type 1 VM's, I find Type 2 are more trouble some.

I don't think the sound works on any Hypervisor, although it works via RDC.

p.s. Thanks for the tip on the OptiPlex. I have the AMD version 740 and it didn't work, but I may try and swap it for a 755 from work. ;)