Installing Vista with COA sticker

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hawkeyi, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Hawkeyi

Hawkeyi MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I am reinstalling Windows Vista on a friends Compaq computer that came with Vista and the key on the COA stricker doesn't work (of course). Usually I call Microsoft activation hot-line and they give me a new key. I am trying to find a faster way to legally activate when Vista. Is there a disc I could download that would automatically find the key and install it. How does Geeksquad and the other PC repair shops reinstall Windows. Thanks for your Help guys.

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #2 Myrrh, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dazzer9535

dazzer9535 Guest

#3 dazzer9535, Aug 1, 2009
  4. Hawkeyi

Hawkeyi MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #4 Hawkeyi, Aug 1, 2009
    (OP)
  5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The difference is the lo*der is not needed, because the computer's BIOS already contains the proper SLIC table. Also, that SLIC table's existence makes it legal. You are just duplicating what was done originally by Compaq, minus whatever crapware their preloads typically come with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Hawkeyi

Hawkeyi MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Myrrh thanks for all your help. You have given a lot of information to stir me in the right direction.

7. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #7 Myrrh, Aug 2, 2009
  8. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #9 Myrrh, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    What you're doing is finding the OEM:SLP key. That, plus the certificate for your computer manufacturer, will allow you to do the same offline activation, for the same edition of Windows, as if installed from the original manufacturer's disc, which means it will never ask you to activate.

If you have the original disc, you can find both of these. sources\pid.txt and sources\$oem$\$$\system32\[manufacturer].xrm-ms

install the product key with slmgr -ipk and the certificate with slmgr -ilc

Note, this procedure is 100% legal, if your machine already has SLIC in bios and a OEM:SLP sticker on it.

9. dazzer9535

dazzer9535 Guest

10. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #11 Myrrh, Aug 4, 2009
  11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  12. dazzer9535

dazzer9535 Guest

Thanks guys, yeah its really odd why companies put a COA sticker on the side but its totally irrelevant at the beginning of the install, well I say totally but it does allow you to install the OS but wont ever activate unless you have the correct OEM serial that would be found with a key finder program and thats no good if you have duff HDD.

Well as far as I can tell!

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    It will activate, you have to call and they give you a number. Most of the time!!

14. dazzer9535

dazzer9535 Guest

#15 dazzer9535, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
    Tried it but no luck and told me to phone HP which I did and it went so well I informed trading standards of HPs **** performance.

SAVE YOUR SOULD AND DONT BUY HP ****.

15. vi3t1uv

vi3t1uv MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    #16 vi3t1uv, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    I also ran into many different types of OEM machines other than HP, they're all the same, Microsoft said that it's not freaking their problem if it's an OEM machine, told me to call the manufacture. So i tried to call the manufactures to see what they say and there was a few times that some jack a** from customer service wanted to charge me a small fees to get it activated, i don't know if they're trying to rip me off or it's real because i never tried, lol. Just ended up activated in my own way. Good luck!

16. dazzer9535

dazzer9535 Guest

Mate its a joke the big companies sell second rate goods that dont work properly and then blame the customer for calling up for help, and it gets worse.

I fixed another HP yesterday it was a a6115.uk that had Vista Home Premium on it and SP1 was installed by the user and it crashed and blue screened, and also did the famous driver error on boot so its was basically trashed thanks to MS and their rubbish.

I also used a Key Finder proggy that didnt work as activation yet again failed.

So I recovered the PC via F11 on start up and spent hours making sure it was already for SP1, the time came to load SP1 and all went fine until reboot and then I was back to square one.

It now has XP which I may add runs like an absolute dream, its almost like the PC was made for XP but HP said, hey we got some machines in the back lets stick Vista on them.

What is with HP? they used to make some good stuff but now its overpriced junk, and they dont give a hoot at their customer (dont) care centre.

17. vi3t1uv

vi3t1uv MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    I'm glad things worked out for ya. I hated to deal with both M$ and any other OEM customer services. For once they were trying to sell me the Recovery Disc just because i needed to activate Windows. They only care if they make the sale instead of providing necessary support for the consumers.