Installing win7 without boot from cd or usb?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by eddy1337, Apr 6, 2010.

1. eddy1337

eddy1337 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    Someone have a way i can install win7 without booting from cd,usb++ The reason i cant do it, is because i cant get into my bios. It is locked(got the computer from school) And the admin dont want to give me the bios password before after a year. I have quitted school and want win7 and not windows xp.

Can somebody help me? If you can, thank you! :worthy:

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #2 timesurfer, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    I am assuming that its a desktop? So open it up and unplug computer then look for a battery like a big watch battery take it out and wait like atleast an hour maybe more then your bios will default so you probably will be able to get into what you want...lol Sorry if I'm way off with this...lol

I think you will need to mount if you will be allowed access to do it. You can mount with UltraISO. You open RTM ISO then right click then mount. Then look in my computer for the new drive and install from inside windows.

Good Luck

3. eddy1337

eddy1337 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    I have tried everything to reset bios password, trust me:p But no luck, can you tell me a little more about how to mount? wtf is mount? :)

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Mount is creating a virtual drive. Gamers do it when they have a ISO. Try googling for some reading for mounting. So get UltraISO then follow previous directions given...lol

5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Trick for installing with no USB or DVD.

1. Hook up the drive to a working computer.
    2. Create Partition, mark it active.
    3. Drag the contents of the installation DVD to the hard drive.
    4. Install HDD in target system.
    5. Start system, it should see the DVD boot files on the HDD just like with a USB thumb drive and start installation.
    6. Install windows (this is wicked fast for expanding files).
    7. after a succesful install you are going to see a boot menu on every reboot, one for setup and one for windows, use EasyBCD to delete the setup entry.
    8. Delete the files and folders from the root directory that are related to setup.

Did this on an old Abit NF7-S with an athlon xp 2600+ and even with that configuration the file expansion was fast. This computer has no DVD and doesn't support boot from USB thumb drive. We were just goofing around to see if we could get it running an old computer I had.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #6 Rosco, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    Shrink the XP partition to leave just enough room for XP system files and enough room to copy all files from Windows 7 DVD.

Create a partition for 7.

Install to this partiton from XP by running setup.

Haven't tried this but it used to work for all Windows OS prior to 7 so unless they deliberately changed this in 7 it should work - you're kinda stuck with the XP partition afterwards as its MBR will have the initial boot code and it sounds like it will be hard to change if you can't change BIOS settings - which is wierd if you ask me - why won't they simply tell you if you are no longer at their school ???

The UltraISO thingy should work also - install UltraISO in XP. It will create a virtual DVD Drive for you and you insert the ISO of the Windows 7 DVD (which you either have downloaded or create with UltraISO)

I used to install XP like this all the time - it simply copied all install files to a temporary directory on the partition in which it was being installed and ran setup from there - never tried with 7.

Can't hurt to try though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
  8. MadSheep!

MadSheep! MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
  9. eddy1337

eddy1337 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    HELP?! I installed win7 when running winxp, i have xp on partition c:/ and installed win7 at D:/ i installed win7 completly, everything worked fine until i started win7 the first time(i could choose between win7 or old in a boot menu.. I choosed of course win7, the boot menu worked 2-3 times, to configure windows for starting it the first time++ But when i was finished with everything, choosed language, timezone, wlan ++ i had to restart. But when i started again(choosed win7 in the boot menu) windows shut down when it started, when i start my computer now nothing happens. No boot menu appears, nothing, just a black screen with a blinking " _ " in the left corner at the top. I have tried to restart 10 times but still, nothing happens. I cannot turn my computer on with other words.. I get the HP logo and i can go into the startup menu for bios( and look at F1 system information F2 System diagnostics(dont happen anything when i try to use that either) F7 Hp Sparekey, F9 Boot device Options(Just hdd and usb or ethernet, but nothing happens anyway) and ofcourse F10 Bios setup, but i dont have the password here. Whatever i choose i just get the black screen with the blinking white _ thing, nothing else appears after the startup logo and menu.

What the *** Could have happend, my computer is f**kd. help, someone?

For information it is a hp 6530b(GW688av) ROM Revision 68PDD Ver. F.OE, NOTEBOOK ASSET TAG: LE09000668, Video BIOS Revision: INTEL 1625 and someother information that i know cant help... This is what i get out of system information at the startup menu..

Thank you for helping me!

10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I'm surprised you even got Windows 7 to boot....
    your problem is that I think you need to have the drive letter labeled as C or nothing on 7 will work program wise...
    Other than that I advise you do something about the Partition or you need to manually set the drive letter to C in windows 7 which is kind of dangerous...
    And when I mean kind of dangerous I mean you could screw up the load completely but considering I'd say its worth a shot...
    Your best option I think would be to get rid of xp and do a full load of Windows 7 with Xp mode running as a emulator on it...

11. eddy1337

eddy1337 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    But i cant do a thing, it will not boot the boot menu:p nothing

12. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Now that sucks so pretty much you can't get to the boot menu like at all???
    I'm going to presume that it goes straight to booting the OS and when you get to wheather you wanna select XP or Windows 7 you choose Xp cause it hasn't crapped out...
    Well I'd say you need to pop a copy of Ubuntu into the machine and clean up or delete Windows 7 since it was a bad install...
    I would suggest (doesn't mean you have to do it) installing Windows 7 then using Xp Mode so that you get what your looking for...

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, you know what you got to do to get past this? Simply open the computer even if it is a laptop and look for a jumper by the motherboard battery called something like "CMOS Reset" and change the pinning on it from how it was to the other pin for like a minute, then change it back, turn the computer back on and you can get into the bios after that. BTW when you see something like "Mismatch" click the button for bios settings(Not Bios Defaults!) and it will take you inside the bios settings page where you will notice everything is unlocked lol

14. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #14 iNO12, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    That does not always work. He said he already tried everything to unlock the BIOS. I had a HP laptop, doing what you said has no effect on the password. :)

Since he cannot access the bios or any boot menu, the only option I think left would be to put the hard drive in another computer and install the OS. :/

15. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I know what you mean but we don't know if he has tried chaning the pinning setting. Plus it should work most of the time cause it is basically a safeguard. Now IDK because these are school computers, maybe they have extra locks I don't know. All I know is there should be a way to get though, maybe even a utility like killcmos or Spotmau BootCare 2008. Most tools are supposed to change/remove cmos passwords.

16. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    How about Dolorous Edd's idea on an E-Sata or USB drive - might work.

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That too lol

18. eddy1337

eddy1337 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    i dont get anywhere, not to the boot menu, not to the os, not to dos, nowhere.. :S

19. eddy1337

eddy1337 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    of course i have tried:) doesnt work, but thnx anyway

20. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009