Installing Win8.1 on a Notebook that came with Win8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by allow, Jan 28, 2014.

1. allow

allow MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    Hello,

i did quite a bit of reading, but i am still confused:

I want to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 an a Notebook that came with Windows 8

When i install Windows 8, the key stored in BIOS is automatically detected and Win8 will be activated after install.

Will this also work when i install win8.1?

If not, is there anything i can do to get a clean Win8.1 installation that will activate?

2. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    No it won't work with windows 8.1. You need WZT multiple editions ISO(links in windows 8.1 repository), and ei.cfg file which you put in sources directory of your windows 8.1 installation media). This will allow you to install windows 8.1 without product key, which you need to enter after installation in order to activate windows. I attached ei.cfg file for you. Make sure you dump your windows 8 key before reinstalling system. Good luck.

Attached Files:

• ei.7z
      File size:
      173 bytes
      Views:
  3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. allow

allow MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks, will try that...

5. allow

allow MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    I all worked fine

in a nutshell: Install win8.1 with added ei.cfg and enter no key

later when all is done, enter key extracted from bios. There are several tools that can extract the win8 key from the bios. it will activate when entered in win8.1 install after the install is done.

6. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    That's the easiest way to do it. Saves the trouble of replacing leaked keys with legit one.